Solve Functional Equation & Find Limit: f(x+y)=(f(x)+f(y))/(1+f(x)f(y))

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In Summary, the function satisfies the conditions: 1. f(x+y) = (f(x)+f(y))/(1+f(x)f(y)) for all real x & y2. f '(0)=13. -1<f(x)<1 for all real x.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Suppose a function satisfies the conditions
1. f(x+y) = (f(x)+f(y))/(1+f(x)f(y)) for all real x & y
2. f '(0)=1.
3. -1<f(x)<1 for all real x
Show that the function is increasing throughout its domain. Then find the value:
Limitx -> Infinity f(x)x

The Attempt at a Solution

I proceed by putting x,y=0 in eq 1.
I get the following roots for f(0)={-1,0,1}
But if I take f(0)={-1,1}, f(x) will become a constant function and will be equal to +1 when f(0)=1 and -1 when f(0)=-1, thereby violating condition 3
So f(0)=0From equation 1: I assume 'y' as a constant and differentiate wrt x
f ' (x+y)=(f ' (x)(1-f2(y))) / (1+f(x)f(y))2
I put x=0;
I get f ' (y)=1-f2(y) Using condition 3; I prove that the derivative is always positive.
I have been able able to solve the first part of the question. But I couldn't evaluate the limit
Limitx -> Infinity f(x)x. Please help me on the limit part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be helpful to "cheat" and use the fact that f(x) is really tanh x, to figure out what to do. Then go back and do it without using that fact.

First show lim f(y)=1 as y approaches infinity.

After that, then you find your limit, which has indeterminate form 1^infty, by using natural log and l'Hopital, just like you would do if you knew f was tanh. Unfortunately with f, you don't have all the trig identities at your disposal. Take a stab at it and ask again if you get stuck.

You could take Billy Bob's hint farther and prove that f(x) really is tanh(x). Take f(x+e) (e is epsilon). Put that into your formula for f and rearrange it into a difference quotient and take the limit as e->0. Notice since f'(0)=1, lim f(e)/e ->1. That will give you a differential equation to solve for f.

Thanks a lot for helping me solve my problem :D

Related to Solve Functional Equation & Find Limit: f(x+y)=(f(x)+f(y))/(1+f(x)f(y))

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation where the unknown quantity is a function or a set of functions. The goal of solving a functional equation is to find the function(s) that satisfy the given equation.

2. How do you solve a functional equation?

The process of solving a functional equation involves analyzing the given equation and using mathematical techniques such as substitution, manipulation, and induction to find the function(s) that satisfy the equation. It is important to check the solution(s) to ensure they satisfy the equation for all possible inputs.

3. What is the limit in this functional equation?

The limit in this functional equation refers to the limit of the function as the variables approach a certain value. In this case, the limit is used to find the value of f(x+y) as x and y approach a specific value.

4. How do you find the limit in this functional equation?

To find the limit in this functional equation, we can use techniques such as substitution, manipulation, and L'Hospital's rule to simplify the equation and evaluate the limit. It is important to check the limit for different values of x and y to ensure it is consistent.

5. What are some real-life applications of functional equations?

Functional equations have various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems involving relationships between variables, such as optimization and equilibrium problems. In addition, functional equations are also used in the development of algorithms and computer programs.