Solve for frequency & angle in dispersion equation

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help to solve for f and theta in an equation involving frequency, source width, and a power factor. The person is stuck at the step of simplifying the equation and is seeking assistance from someone who is knowledgeable in this subject. They clarify that the values of f and W are not constants, and they are trying to solve for both variables in order to calculate a and b.
NiToNi
OK I'm about to grow (more) gray hairs...

Could some friendly soul smarter than myself kindly help me solve for both f and theta respectively in the following equation, please:

x = sin[ (pi*f*W)/c * sin(theta) ] / [ (pi*f*W)/c * sin(theta) ]

Getting stuck at "arcsin of arcsin" sort of thing...

Many thanks in advance (Nod)

Nick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NiToNi said:
OK I'm about to grow (more) gray hairs...

Could some friendly soul smarter than myself kindly help me solve for both f and theta respectively in the following equation, please:

x = sin[ (pi*f*W)/c * sin(theta) ] / [ (pi*f*W)/c * sin(theta) ]

Getting stuck at "arcsin of arcsin" sort of thing...

Many thanks in advance (Nod)

Nick

W and c are constant, am I right?

And it should look like $x = \frac{\sin[ \frac{\pi \cdot f \cdot W}{c}\ \cdot \;\sin(\theta) ] }{ \frac{\pi \cdot f \cdot W}{c}\ \cdot \;\sin(\theta)}$ ?

Last edited:
Hi Mathick,

Thanks for your reply :)

Your rearranging is correct - that's what it should look like.

However f and W are not constants per se. f is frequency (Hz) and W is source width (m), both of which are (positive) variables.

What I probably should have said though is that x is a ratio (power factor) so values are between 0 and 1:

0 < x < 1

As the equation is arranged now, I can calculate the power factor (x) knowing f, W and theta. What I am trying to do is solve also for f and W so I can calculate:

a. f knowing x, W and theta;

b.theta knowing x, f and W

Does thatn make sense?

Related to Solve for frequency & angle in dispersion equation

1. What is the dispersion equation?

The dispersion equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and angle of a wave in a dispersive medium. It is commonly used in fields such as optics and acoustics to study the behavior of waves.

2. How do you solve for frequency and angle in the dispersion equation?

To solve for frequency and angle in the dispersion equation, you need to know the dispersion relation of the medium in which the wave is propagating. This relation can be obtained through experiments or theoretical models. Once you have the dispersion relation, you can use it to find the frequency and angle of the wave at a given point.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and angle in the dispersion equation?

The relationship between frequency and angle in the dispersion equation is described by the dispersion relation. This relation varies depending on the properties of the medium, but in general, higher frequencies correspond to larger angles. This means that at higher frequencies, the wave will bend or disperse more as it propagates through the medium.

4. Can the dispersion equation be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the dispersion equation can be used for all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific form of the dispersion relation will differ depending on the properties of the medium and the type of wave being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to the dispersion equation?

While the dispersion equation is a powerful tool for studying the behavior of waves in dispersive media, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties do not vary with position or direction. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the propagation of the wave, such as obstacles or other waves.