Solve Escalator Question Homework: Walk Up & Down Moving/Stalled Escalator

• Thread starter Warmacblu
  • Start date
In summary, a shopper in a department store can walk up a stationary escalator in 30 seconds, and can be carried by a moving escalator to the next floor in 42 seconds. Assuming the same walking effort, it would take the shopper 17.5 seconds to walk up the moving escalator. To walk down the upward moving escalator, the shopper's net velocity would be 12 seconds. If the escalator is stalled, the shopper will make the trip up and down in less time than the 42 seconds it would take on a moving escalator.
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

A shopper in a department store can walk up a stationary escalator in 30 s. The normally functioning "up" escalator can carry the standing shopper to the next floor in 42 s. Assume the same walking effort for the shopper whether the escalator is stalled or moving.

How long will it take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator?

How long will it take the shopper to walk down this upward moving escalator?

If she escalator is stalled, the shopper will make the trip up and down the escalator:

Faster
Slower
In the same time
None of these

Homework Equations

I did not use any to solve the first part. I am unsure about the second part though.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question:

1 / 30 + 1 / 42 = 2 / 35
35 / 2 = 17.5 seconds

I don't even really know where to start on the second part.

I already wasted two attempts on this third part so the answer is either quicker or slower.

This problem should be fairly easy to understand but for some reason I cannot wrap my head around the second and third parts.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the second part, the net velocity of the shopper is the difference of velocity of shopper and escalator.

If you got the first part by doing this:

1 / 30 + 1 / 42 = 2 / 35

How come you couldn't get the second part by doing this?:

1 / 30 - 1 / 42 = ...

I really don't understand the third question. Faster or slower than what? Moving up the escalator? Going down the escalator?

rl.bhat said:
In the second part, the net velocity of the shopper is the difference of velocity of shopper and escalator.

So that would mean that the net velocity of the shopper is 42 - 30 = 12. 42 is the velocity of the escalator and 30 is the velocity of the shopper. I do not know where to go from there. I do know that the answer has to be more than 30 because the shopper is walking downward with some upward related rate against her.

ideasrule said:
If you got the first part by doing this:

1 / 30 + 1 / 42 = 2 / 35

How come you couldn't get the second part by doing this?:

1 / 30 - 1 / 42 = ...

I really don't understand the third question. Faster or slower than what? Moving up the escalator? Going down the escalator?

I do not know if that would give me the correct answer for part two. I tried it and I came up with 1 / 105. If I take the inverse of that I get 105 which seems awfully high. I know the answer must be over thirty but 105 seconds to walk down an escalator that takes people up to the second floor slower than they can walk seems high. What do you think?

For part three, the question is saying that if the escalator is stalled the shopper will make the trip up and down (combined) ... faster or slower.

Related to Solve Escalator Question Homework: Walk Up & Down Moving/Stalled Escalator

1. How do I solve the escalator question homework?

To solve the escalator question homework, you will need to use the formula: time = distance/velocity. You will also need to consider the distance traveled by both the person standing on the escalator and the person walking up or down the escalator.

2. What is a moving escalator?

A moving escalator is an escalator that is functioning and carrying people from one floor to another. It is constantly moving at a certain velocity and it is important to take this into consideration when solving the escalator question homework.

3. What is a stalled escalator?

A stalled escalator is an escalator that is not functioning, i.e. it is not moving. This can occur due to mechanical issues or power outages. When solving the escalator question homework, you will need to consider the distance traveled by the person walking up or down the escalator, as well as the time spent on the escalator while it was stalled.

4. Do I need to convert units when solving the escalator question homework?

Yes, it is important to convert all units to the same measurement system before using the formula to solve the escalator question. For example, if the distance is given in feet and the velocity is given in meters per second, you will need to convert the distance to meters in order to ensure accurate calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the escalator question homework?

Some common mistakes when solving the escalator question homework include forgetting to convert units, not considering the distance traveled by both the person on the escalator and the person walking, and not taking into account the time spent on the escalator while it was stalled. It is important to carefully read the question and make sure all variables are accounted for before solving.