Solve % Error in Specific Heat Capacity: Eh = mcΔT

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the specific heat capacity of a liquid by heating a measured quantity of the liquid for a certain amount of time. The results of the experiment are given, including the power of the heater, mass of the liquid, time of heating, and temperature rise. The person is struggling to calculate the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity and asks for suggestions on how to reduce the error. The conversation also mentions the equation for specific heat capacity and the relationship between the percentage errors of each variable in the equation.
spoony33
I have this question for homework and I'm well stuck! The specific heat capacity of a liquid was found by heating a measures quantity of the liquid for a certain length of time. The following results were obtained.
Power of heater: ( 50.0 ± 0.5)W
Mass of liquid: (200 ± 10)g
Time of heating: (600 ± 1)s
Temperature rise: (50.0 ± 0.5)°C

I managed to get the percentage error in each reading but i just don't know how to work out the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity!

A) What will the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity?
B) Suggest one way in which to reduce the percentage error obtained for the specific heat capacity?I managed to work out this but i don't know how to work out the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity?
The percentage of uncertainty of each is:
Power of heater:
(±0.5)/50.0 = ± 1%

Mass of liquid
(±10)/200 = ± 5%

Time of heating:
(±1)/600 = ±0.167 %

Temperature Rise:
(±.5)/50.0 = ± 1%

Thanks

The equation of specific heat capacity is: Eh = mcΔT

E = Energy, J
m = mass, kg
c = Specific heat capacity, J kg-1 °C-1
ΔT = Change in temperature, °C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So C = (Eh)/(mΔT), right?
If a = b*c, what is the relation of Δa/a, Δb/b, Δc/c? (Δa/a is the percentage error of a).

Last edited:

Related to Solve % Error in Specific Heat Capacity: Eh = mcΔT

What is the equation for calculating specific heat capacity?

The equation for calculating specific heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How do you calculate the percent error in specific heat capacity?

The percent error in specific heat capacity can be calculated using the equation % Error = (|Experimental Value - Accepted Value| / Accepted Value) x 100%. In this case, the experimental value is Eh and the accepted value is mcΔT.

What does a positive percent error in specific heat capacity indicate?

A positive percent error in specific heat capacity indicates that the experimental value for specific heat capacity is higher than the accepted value. This could be due to experimental errors or limitations in the equipment used.

What does a negative percent error in specific heat capacity indicate?

A negative percent error in specific heat capacity indicates that the experimental value for specific heat capacity is lower than the accepted value. This could also be due to experimental errors or limitations in the equipment used.

How can you improve the accuracy of calculating specific heat capacity?

To improve the accuracy of calculating specific heat capacity, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, conduct multiple trials, and minimize sources of error. It is also helpful to use a larger mass of the substance to reduce the impact of measurement errors. Additionally, comparing results with accepted values and calculating percent error can help identify any potential sources of error and improve future experiments.