Solve Double Pendulum Beat Period Calculation

In summary, the problem involves a double pendulum consisting of two string pendulums connected by a light rod, hanging from the ceiling. The question asks to find the beat period of the system after one of the masses is knocked to the right. The equations for simple harmonic motion are known, but the asker is unsure of how to proceed.
captainjack2000
Double Pendulum URGENT!

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve this past paper question for my exam tomorrow:
A double pendulum is constructed using a light rod and light inextensible strings.
Two string pendulums hanging from ceiling 1m long. 0.1m from top they are connected by a light rod.
One mass is knocked to the right. Find the beat period in the subsequent motion.

Homework Equations

I know that they will both undergo shm
a=-w^2x but I have no idea where to go from here!

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think I'm allowed to help you with a take-home exam. You better hope your professor doesn't hang out of PF.

EDIT: One day, I'm going to start reading the first post carefully before replying. Today is not that day!

I can't visualise the problem. Is it like this?

...|......
...|......
...______|_______...
...|......|....
...|......|....
...O.....O....

with the rod on top and the pendulums on the side? So the rod is hanging from the ceiling?

Last edited:

Related to Solve Double Pendulum Beat Period Calculation

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system that consists of two pendulums connected together by a joint. The motion of a double pendulum is highly complex and can exhibit chaotic behavior.

2. How do you solve a double pendulum?

To solve a double pendulum, you need to use mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. You can also use computer simulations or physical models to analyze the motion of a double pendulum.

3. What factors affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The motion of a double pendulum is affected by various factors such as the initial conditions (the starting position and velocity of each pendulum), the length and mass of each pendulum, and the force of gravity.

4. Why is solving a double pendulum important?

Solving a double pendulum is important because it allows us to understand and study complex systems in physics and engineering. It can also help us predict the behavior of other systems that exhibit similar chaotic motion, such as weather patterns or stock market fluctuations.

5. What are the real-life applications of a double pendulum?

Although a double pendulum is a theoretical system, it has real-life applications in fields such as robotics, mechanics, and chaos theory. It can also be used as an educational tool to demonstrate complex physical concepts and principles.