Solve Difference Equation: Find β for x_k=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}

In summary, the difference equation x_{k}=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2} has two solutions x_{k}=\beta^{k} for some \beta\neq0. To determine the two possible values of \beta, one can use the method of finding roots from the characteristic equation, similar to solving differential equations. The general solution can then be written as x_{k}=\alpha_{1}\beta^{k}_{1}+\alpha_{2}\beta^{k}_{2}, where \alpha_{1} and \alpha_{2} are determined by initial values x_{0} and x_{1}. More details can be found in the PF library on solving difference equations.
jameswill1am

Homework Statement

In analogy with differential equations, the difference equation

[tex]x_{k}=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}[/tex]

has two solutions [tex]x_{k}=\beta^{k}[/tex] for some [tex]\beta\neq0[/tex]. Determine the two possible values of [tex]\beta[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]x_{k}=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}[/tex]
[tex]x_{k}=\beta^{k}[/tex]
[tex]\beta\neq0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've read that for equation in the form [tex]a_{n}=Aa_{n-1}+Ba_{n-2}[/tex] the roots are found from [tex]S^{2}-As-B=0[/tex] so applying that to [tex]x_{k}=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}[/tex] with A=1 and B=1 i get something like [tex]\beta^{2}-\beta-1=0[/tex] but I'm sure this is not correct.

I'm wondering if the clue is in the phrasing "in analogy with differential equations" or if I'm just miles off.

Here is the rest of the next question to sort of show you what we are going towards;

Any solution of the equation [tex]x_{k}=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}[/tex] can be written as [tex]x_{k}=\alpha_{1}\beta^{k}_{1}+\alpha_{2}\beta^{k}_{2}[/tex] where [tex]\beta_{1}[/tex] [tex]\beta_{2}[/tex] were found by you in the previous step and [tex]\alpha_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\alpha_{2}[/tex] are determined by [tex]x_{0}[/tex] and [tex]x_{1}[/tex]. Using these facts, determine [tex]p_{k}[/tex] and [tex]q_{k}[/tex] as functions of k.

So from this i get the impression it doesn't want me to know [tex]x_{k}=\alpha_{1}\beta^{k}_{1}+\alpha_{2}\beta^{k}_{2}[/tex] yet. So any help to nudge me in the right direction for finding [tex]\beta[/tex] would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jameswill1am! :smile:

Yes, basically you've got it right …

the method is the same as for the differential equation y'' = y' + y …

you find the roots ß1 and ß2 of the characteristic equation (x2 = x + 1), and then the general solution is any linear combination of solutions of an+1 = ßan, which of course is an = Cßn.

See the PF library on https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=158" for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Difference Equation: Find β for x_k=x_{k-1}+x_{k-2}

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of values by expressing the current value in terms of the previous values. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics, engineering, and science to model dynamic systems.

2. How do you solve a difference equation?

To solve a difference equation, you need to find the general solution by first finding the characteristic equation, which is obtained by substituting the expression for the current value into the equation. Then, you can find the roots of the characteristic equation and use them to find the general solution. Finally, you can use initial conditions to find the specific solution for the given sequence of values.

3. What is the significance of β in the given difference equation?

In the given difference equation, β represents the ratio between the current value and the sum of the two previous values. It is a constant that is used to determine the behavior and stability of the system described by the equation.

4. How does the value of β affect the solution of the difference equation?

The value of β affects the solution of the difference equation by determining the type of behavior exhibited by the system. For example, if β is less than 1, the system is stable and the values of the sequence will decrease over time. On the other hand, if β is greater than 1, the system is unstable and the values will increase over time. The value of β also affects the speed of convergence or divergence of the values.

5. Can a difference equation be used to predict future values?

Yes, a difference equation can be used to predict future values by using the general solution and substituting the initial conditions. However, the accuracy of the predictions depends on the stability of the system and the accuracy of the initial conditions. Small changes in the value of β or the initial conditions can significantly affect the predicted values.