Solve Convex Lens Question: Find Focal Length & Magnification

In summary, the problem involves an object and a screen fixed 80cm apart with a convex lens forming a real image on the screen. When the lens is moved 16cm along its axis, a real image of the object is again formed on the screen. The focal length of the lens can be found by setting the object and image distances equal to each other and solving for the focal length. The magnification in the two cases will be different, with the second magnification being the inverse of the first.
toolcake
An object and a screen are fixed at a distance of 80cm apart and a convex lens forms a real image of the object on the screen. When the lens is moved along its axis a distance of 16cm, a real image of the object is again formed on the screen. Find the focal length of the lens and the magnification in each case.

m=v/u
1/u + 1/v - 1/f

I've been at this for the last 20-30 minutes and I've come no closer to the solution. I've tried letting the first distance from the lens (u1) = 2f whereby the image will be the same size.. no help.. and I've tried letting the distance between the 2 focuses of the lens=16cm.. no help.. and I've tried letting u1=xcm and u2=16+xcm but again.. no help.. I'd appreciate if someone could assist me.Thanks :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF. There may be a better approach, been many moons since I looked at a lens problem.

d1 and d2 must equal 80.
hence,

1/d1-1/(80-d1)=1/f also since we have anothr real image formed after moving 16 cm, direction unspecified

1/(d1+16)-1/(80-16-d1)=1/f

slogging thru the math gives a simple soln.

This problem is based on the fact that one gets the same answer for the focal length of a lens if the object and image distances are swopped around (which would keep their sum the same). That is if we have in the first instance object distance, O and image distance I the second setup gives O + 16 and I - 16. The object distance in the first case would therefore be the same as the image distance in the second case: O = I - 16. Together with I + O = 80 one can now easily solve the problem.

Or if you like to work the maths you can go this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{O} + \frac{1}{I} = \frac{I + O}{IO}[/tex]

starting out with

[tex]\frac{1}{O} + \frac{1}{80 - O} = \frac{1}{O + 16} + \frac{1}{64 - O}[/tex]

and using the formula above to develop it further

[tex]\frac{80}{80O - O^2} = \frac{80}{(O + 16)(64 - O)}[/tex]

andrevdh said:
This problem is based on the fact that one gets the same answer for the focal length of a lens if the object and image distances are swopped around (which would keep their sum the same). That is if we have in the first instance object distance, O and image distance I the second setup gives O + 16 and I - 16. The object distance in the first case would therefore be the same as the image distance in the second case: O = I - 16. Together with I + O = 80 one can now easily solve the problem.

Or if you like to work the maths you can go this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{O} + \frac{1}{I} = \frac{I + O}{IO}[/tex]

starting out with

[tex]\frac{1}{O} + \frac{1}{80 - O} = \frac{1}{O + 16} + \frac{1}{64 - O}[/tex]

and using the formula above to develop it further

[tex]\frac{80}{80O - O^2} = \frac{80}{(O + 16)(64 - O)}[/tex]

I've done what you advised and got out the right focal length as 19.2cm but I don't understan how the problem is based on the image-object swap thing seeing as that isn't covered in our textbook and seeing as the lens is moved not the object or screen. Also I'm confused as to why I also get the right answer for magnification when i take O=32cm and I=48cm.. I've got the problem out but I don't get the logic!

Thanks for your help :D

In one case I=32, O=48 and in the other vice versa. I did the math as I posted, and then the light went on! So it didn't need to be covered in advance, but the results from doing the math show what might have been gathered from careful inspection of the problem...

Well, two facts:

I + O = 80

and f needs stay the same in both cases. Whether one puts O = 48 and I = 32 or O = 32 and I = 48, f will come out the same value plus the sum of I and O stays the same.

The magnification will be different in the two cases, the second magnification will be the inverse of the first. The first magnification will be > 1.0 and the second < 1.0

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Well, two facts:

I + O = 80

and f needs stay the same in both cases. Whether one puts O = 48 and I = 32 or O = 32 and I = 48, f will come out the same value plus the sum of I and O stays the same.

The magnification will be different in the two cases, the second magnification will be the inverse of the first. The first magnification will be > 1.0 and the second < 1.0

Thanks I get it now

Related to Solve Convex Lens Question: Find Focal Length & Magnification

Question 1: What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a converging lens because it causes parallel light rays to converge at a point called the focal point.

Question 2: How can I find the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens can be found by using the lens formula:
1/f = 1/u + 1/v
where f is the focal length, u is the distance of the object from the lens, and v is the distance of the image from the lens. Alternatively, you can use a convex lens equation calculator to find the focal length.

Question 3: What is the magnification of a convex lens?

The magnification of a convex lens is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. It can be calculated using the formula:
m = -v/u
where m is the magnification, u is the distance of the object from the lens, and v is the distance of the image from the lens.

Question 4: How does the shape of a convex lens affect its focal length?

The shape of a convex lens directly affects its focal length. A more curved lens will have a shorter focal length, while a less curved lens will have a longer focal length. This is because a more curved lens bends light more strongly, causing it to converge at a shorter distance.

Question 5: Can a convex lens have a negative focal length?

No, a convex lens cannot have a negative focal length. The focal length of a convex lens is always positive, as it is a measure of how far the lens can converge light. A negative focal length would indicate that the lens diverges light, which is not possible for a convex lens.