Solve Continuous Functions Equation: (f(x)^2)= x^2

In summary, there are two continuous functions, f(x) = -x and f(x) = x, that satisfy the equation (f(x)^2) = x^2 for all x. The method used to solve this problem involved taking the square roots of both sides of the equation and using the property \sqrt{ a^2} = |a|. This results in the absolute value function, which has two possible values, -x and x. There is no need for more complicated methods such as logarithms.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

How many continuous functions f are there which satisfy the equation (f(x)^2) = x^2 for all x?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What method should I use to solve this? Is there a specific strategy involved besides plug and chug? Off the top of my head, I can only think of f(x)= x, but that's just one. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take square roots:
[tex] \sqrt{ a^2} = |a| [/tex]
Is always a true statement regardless of whether a is positive or negative. So for your equation you get |f(x)| = |x|. Try working from there

Thank you so much for that derivation!
For this absolute function, there would be two possible values: -x and x.
There would only be two functions possible then I think?
I thought it would be more complicated, and involve log functions, etc.

Related to Solve Continuous Functions Equation: (f(x)^2)= x^2

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function where the graph of the function has no breaks or gaps. This means that as the input values change, the output values also change without any sudden jumps or interruptions.

What is the difference between a continuous and discontinuous function?

A continuous function has a smooth and unbroken graph, while a discontinuous function has breaks or gaps in its graph.

How do you solve a continuous functions equation?

To solve a continuous functions equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula. You can also use graphical methods such as finding the x-intercepts or using a graphing calculator.

What does (f(x)^2) mean?

(f(x)^2) means the function f(x) squared, or multiplied by itself. This is also known as the function's square or the function raised to the power of 2.

Can a continuous functions equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a continuous functions equation can have multiple solutions. This is because a continuous function can intersect the x-axis at multiple points, resulting in multiple x-values that satisfy the equation.