Solve Binomial Expansion: (2/x^2-x)^6 - No x Term

In summary, to find the term of (2/x^2-x)^6 that has no x, we can use the binomial expansion and replace a with 2/x^2 and b with -x. The term where the power of x is zero can be found using the formula (-x)^(z-a) where ka=z-ma+n.
zbobet2012
I understand how Binomial expansion works, but I don't understand how to solve this problem.
Give the term of (2/x^2-x)^6 that has no x.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you mean: [tex](\frac{2}{X^2}-X)^6[/tex]. In this case we simply want to solve 2A=6-A for the term where (-X)^(6-A) and X^2 is raised to the term A. Obviously, A=2, giving: [tex]\frac{6!}{4!2!}2^2[/tex]

Last edited:
If a = 2/x^2 and b = -x then the expansion will contain various products of powers of a and b. Some of those products will be such that the x's cancel. Can you see which ones? Can you calculate their coefficients using the Binomial theorem?

Where did this: 2A=6-A

Come from?

Robert means that each term in the series will be of degree 6, i.e. the combined powers of a and b (from my earlier post) add up to 6. For one or more of those terms the power of x will be zero.

I know its asking alot, but can you show a step by step on how to solve it? I was out of class for a few days and never got taught how... Thanks alot.

You said you understood how the binomial expansion works so you can easily do it yourself.

Expand [itex](a + b)^6[/itex] using the binomial expansion. As a shortcut, you can use Pascal's Triangle to find the binomial coefficients. When you're done with that, replace a with [itex]2/x^6[/itex] and b with [itex]-x[/itex]. Your answer should then leap off the page!

Good luck.

Thanks a lot tide, that helps alot. I also think I found a generalized method for finding the [tex]x^n[/tex] term.
If we have [tex](\frac{C}{X^k}-X^m)^z[/tex] than [tex]x^n[/tex] can be found where [tex](-x)^{z-a}[/tex] where [tex]ka=z-ma+n[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solve Binomial Expansion: (2/x^2-x)^6 - No x Term

1. What is the formula for binomial expansion?

The formula for binomial expansion is (a + b)ⁿ = ∑ (nCr) a^(n-r) b^r, where n is the exponent, a and b are the terms of the binomial, and nCr is the combination coefficient.

2. How do you solve a binomial expansion with no x term?

To solve a binomial expansion with no x term, you can use the formula (a + b)ⁿ = aⁿ + (nC1) a^(n-1) b + (nC2) a^(n-2) b² + ... + (nCn-1) a b^(n-1) + bⁿ. In this case, the term (2/x²) has an exponent of 6 and no x term, so it can be rewritten as (2)⁶ (x²)^-6 = 64/x¹².

3. What is the value of (nCr) in binomial expansion?

The value of (nCr) in binomial expansion is the combination coefficient, which represents the number of ways to choose r objects from a set of n objects. It can be calculated using the formula (nCr) = n! / (r! (n-r)!).

4. How many terms are there in a binomial expansion with an exponent of 6?

There are 7 terms in a binomial expansion with an exponent of 6. This is because the formula (a + b)ⁿ has n+1 terms, and in this case, n is 6, so there are 7 terms.

5. Can you use binomial expansion to solve equations with variables in the exponent?

Yes, you can use binomial expansion to solve equations with variables in the exponent. In this case, the equation (2/x^2-x)^6 has a variable in the exponent, and it can be simplified using the binomial expansion formula.