Solve Bead Problem: Find Height & Angle for 4.5m/s Velocity

• Thread starter Broodwich08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bead
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the necessary height for a bead sliding on a frictionless wire to achieve a velocity of 4.5m/s at the lower point, as well as determining the angle that will give the shortest time to achieve this velocity. The solution involves using the conservation of energy equation and finding the maximum acceleration along the vertical. The correct height is calculated to be 1.033m and the angle for the shortest time is determined to be the one where the acceleration along the vertical is maximum.
Broodwich08

Homework Statement

Homework Statement [/b]
Situation: bead sliding on a fristionless wire.
How large must the hieght be if the bead starting at rest is to have a velocity of 4.5m/s at the lower point? What angle will give the shortest time to achieve the correct velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to first finding h by using the conservation of energy Potential(intial)=Kinetic(final) and i came out with 1.033m. let me know if i was right. The main problem is the second part. I'm drawing a blank to find the angle with only one component. Maybe I am missing something. Thank u in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the shortest time would be for that angle in which the acceleration along the vertical is maximum. So what would that angle be?

And I do get the same answer as you did for the first part.

Related to Solve Bead Problem: Find Height & Angle for 4.5m/s Velocity

What is the Bead Problem?

The Bead Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the height and angle of a bead after it is launched with a velocity of 4.5m/s.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it allows us to apply the laws of physics to real-world scenarios and understand the motion of objects in different situations.

What are the steps to solve the Bead Problem?

The steps to solve the Bead Problem are as follows:
1. Identify the known variables, including the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time.
2. Use equations of motion to find the final velocity and displacement of the bead.
3. Set the displacement to zero and solve for the angle using the quadratic formula.
4. Use the angle to find the height of the bead.

What are the assumptions made in solving the Bead Problem?

Some of the assumptions made in solving the Bead Problem include:
1. Neglecting air resistance
2. Assuming a constant acceleration due to gravity
3. Assuming the bead is launched from ground level
4. Assuming a frictionless surface

How can this problem be applied in real life?

The Bead Problem can be applied in real life in situations where we need to understand the motion of objects, such as in sports, engineering, or even in understanding the path of a projectile. It can also be used to design experiments and test the laws of physics in a controlled environment.