Solve Angle of Refraction Problem: Incident 35°, Refracted 22° & Leaving 38°

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an equilateral glass prism and a light ray entering at an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. The goal is to find the angle of refraction when the ray leaves the prism. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, with a particular focus on finding the angle of incidence where the ray leaves the prism. The solution is found by using the theorem that the external angle of a triangle equals the sum of the two opposite internal angles, or the sum of the internal angles equals 180 degrees. The final answer for the angle of refraction in part c is not provided.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi
I have this little problem bothering. The question goes like this:
A ray enters an equilateral glass prism of refractive index 1.55 at the midpoint of one side of the prism at an angle of inceidence of 35 degrees.
a. Sketch this arrangement and show that the angle of refraction of the light ray in the glass is 22 degrees.
b. Show that the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the glass prism is 38 degree.
c. Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray where it leaves the prism.

Homework Equations

n= Sin i/Sin r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to do a. For b this is my working:
1.55=Sin i/Sin 22

But I obtained 35.5 degrees. Can anyone please explain where I am going wrong?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aurao2003! :smile:

aurao2003 said:
A ray enters an equilateral glass prism …

b. Show that the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the glass prism is 38 degree.
c. Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray where it leaves the prism.

For b this is my working:
1.55=Sin i/Sin 22

erm :redface: … you've misread the question, and probably not drawn the diagram …

b is just geometry … the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the prism is the angle before it leaves (that's what "incidence" means! :wink:), and you should be able to show that that is 38° …

(and you don't use the sine formula until c)

Hi
I am trying to do the geometry but its eluding me.:cry: Sorry for being slow. But all my A level subjects are self taught. I have got it now. Thanks.
I am doing Maths, Physics and Further Maths!

use the theorem that the external angle of a triangle equals the sum of the two opposite internal angles (alternatively, just use the sum of the internal angles equals 180°) :smile:

perhaps you're not drawing the correct triangle?

draw a line from the bottom right corner to the midpoint of the left side …

then draw the ray: it makes a 35° angle to this line in the air, and a 22° angle through the glass, and hits the bottom of the triangle

you've now two triangles at the bottom of the original triangle: use the 180° rule to find the angle between the ray and the bottom side …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Solve Angle of Refraction Problem: Incident 35°, Refracted 22° & Leaving 38°

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle of refraction?

The formula for calculating the angle of refraction is sin(θr) = (n1sin(θi))/n2, where θr is the angle of refraction, θi is the angle of incidence, and n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums.

2. How do you use the given angles of incidence and refraction to solve for the angle of refraction?

To solve for the angle of refraction, you can use the formula sin(θr) = (n1sin(θi))/n2 and plug in the values for θi, n1, and n2. In this case, the incident angle is 35°, the refracted angle is 22°, and the leaving angle is 38°. So, sin(22°) = (n1sin(35°))/n2. From there, you can solve for n1 and n2 to get the angle of refraction, θr.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums. In other words, as the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, but the ratio between them remains constant.

4. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the angle of refraction?

The refractive index of a medium directly affects the angle of refraction. A higher refractive index means that light will bend more as it passes through the medium, resulting in a larger angle of refraction. This is why light bends more when passing through materials such as water or glass, which have higher refractive indices than air.

5. Can the angle of refraction ever be greater than the angle of incidence?

No, the angle of refraction can never be greater than the angle of incidence. According to Snell's Law, the refractive index of a medium must always be greater than or equal to that of the medium it is entering. This means that the angle of refraction must always be less than or equal to the angle of incidence.