Solve Angle Between Light Rays After Prism Refraction - Help (with prism)

• Thread starter shingetsunohimitsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prism
In summary, the conversation centers around determining the angle between two light rays, m and n, after they emerge from a prism with a refractive index of 1.48 and angles of 30.0°. The discussion also touches upon the angle of refraction and the possibility of the rays being parallel after entering and exiting the prism. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification or a figure to better understand the situation.
shingetsunohimitsu
Help

34-31. The prism of the figure has a refractive index of 1.48, and the angles A are 30.0°. Two light rays m and n are parallel as they enter the prism. What is the angle between them after they emerge?
I. Set the hypotenuse of the small triangle to the left at 10cm. Gives you a triangle which is 5^2+8.66^2=10^2
II. The angle should be arccos(5/10)=60.0°
III. The angle of refraction should be arcsin(1.281)
The angle they make with the base of the prism should be arcsin(1.281)+30.0°, In which case the angle they make towards each other is as much 2(arcsin(1.281)+30.0°)

Now, the answer, I'm sure is completely off the hooks.

I'm new around, I don't have a university degree, only what's equivalent to basic high school maths and a burning passion for physics. My dabbling in the arts are meagre, and I want to ask pardon my stupid questions before anyone gets the chance to demand a pardon from me. There you go.
In all my humbleness
/Shingetsu

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a hard time picturing the situation. Do the two rays enter the hypotenuse of the triangle with an angle of incidence of 30 degrees? AFter they enter the prism, which internal side do they hit? Do both rays hit the same side internally?

If the two rays are parallel when coming in, and they have do not have different index of refraction, and they hit the same walls of the prism, they should emerge parallel to each other.

And you can't have an arcsin of a number greater than 1.00, so figure out what you meant by that.

If you can attach a figure, that will help us understand what's going on. As chi meson said, it's not clear why the emergent rays should not be parallel too - unless they don't go in the same side.

If you have absolutely no means of providing a figure, try describing the prism and the ray directions more clearly.

Related to Solve Angle Between Light Rays After Prism Refraction - Help (with prism)

1. What is the angle of refraction for light passing through a prism?

The angle of refraction for light passing through a prism varies depending on the material and angle of the prism. It can be calculated using Snell's Law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the materials on either side of the prism, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

2. How do I find the angle between two light rays after they pass through a prism?

The angle between two light rays after passing through a prism can be found by subtracting the angle of incidence from the angle of refraction for each ray. This will give you the angle between the two refracted rays.

3. What is the purpose of a prism in the refraction of light?

A prism is used to refract light and separate it into its component colors, creating a rainbow-like effect. It is also used in various optical instruments to bend and redirect light in specific ways.

4. How does the angle of the prism affect the angle between refracted light rays?

The angle of the prism directly affects the angle of refraction for light passing through it. The greater the angle of the prism, the greater the angle of deviation (change in direction) of the refracted light rays. This means the angle between the two refracted rays will also be greater.

5. Can the angle between light rays after passing through a prism be adjusted?

Yes, the angle between light rays after passing through a prism can be adjusted by changing the angle of the prism or by using different materials with different refractive indices. This allows for control over the direction and intensity of the refracted light.