Solve Air Pressure Problem: 500m Skyscraper, 1.3 kg/m3

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the air pressure at the top of a 500 meter high skyscraper, assuming a constant air density of 1.3 kg/m3 and an air pressure of 1 bar at ground level. The formula F = (Rho)(height)(g) is mentioned, but it is clarified that this formula gives pressure, not force. The conversation concludes with the correct answer of approximately .93 bar.
edanzig
The question asks; "Assuming that the density of air is a constant 1.3 kg/m3 and that the air pressure is 1 bar, what is the pressure at the top of a 500 meter high skyscraper?"

I'm having trouble setting something up but here is what I do have;
Regarding liquids we know that F = (Rho)(height)(g) so I want to say that whatever "causes" the "air to push down" on the ground at 1 bar of pressure should have 500 meters worth of "height" removed from it. So force pushing down = 1 bar and (force pushing down) - 500 meters = answer.
So (Difference in force) = (density)(g)(height difference) where given density is in Kg/m^3, height is in m and g is m/s^2. Summing up these values we get Kg/m*s^2 Which is equal to a Newton. The atmospheric pressure is Newtons/m^2.
If I ignore this discrepancy (because the pressure is measuring F/A, and I'm solving just for the force) and solve to problem I end up with a huge number 1.3*8.9*500 which is obviously incorrect. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rho*g*h gives you a pressure not a force.

The question is only asking for the pressure so forget everything about forces. Can you convert 1 bar into kPa?

To elaborate on what paisiello said, your 1.3*8.9*500 is N/m2, or Pa. This is the difference between the pressure at ground level and the pressure at 500 m. What is 1 bar in Pa?

Chet

1 bar in Pa is approx is 100,000. The difference is 6370. Therefore the answer is .93 bar. (thanks) Just not sure when you say that rho*g*h gives pressure and not force, the units sum to "N" and not "N/m^2."

If you do the calculation with all of the units then you will see that it gives you a pressure F/A. And you don't sum the units, you multiply them.

edanzig said:
1 bar in Pa is approx is 100,000. The difference is 6370. Therefore the answer is .93 bar. (thanks) Just not sure when you say that rho*g*h gives pressure and not force, the units sum to "N" and not "N/m^2."
[tex]\frac{kg}{m^3}\frac{m}{s^2}m=\frac{kgm}{m^2s^2}=\frac{N}{m^2}[/tex]

Related to Solve Air Pressure Problem: 500m Skyscraper, 1.3 kg/m3

1. How does air pressure change with altitude in a 500m skyscraper?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases. This is due to the weight of the air above pushing down on the air below, creating a higher pressure at lower altitudes. In a 500m skyscraper, the air pressure at ground level would be higher compared to the air pressure at the top of the building.

2. What is the air density in a 500m skyscraper?

The air density in a 500m skyscraper would be 1.3 kg/m3. This is because air density decreases with altitude, so the air at the top of the building would be less dense than the air at ground level.

3. How does air pressure affect the structural integrity of a 500m skyscraper?

Air pressure plays a significant role in the structural integrity of a 500m skyscraper. As the air pressure decreases with altitude, it creates a difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the building. This difference in pressure exerts a force on the building, which must be taken into consideration during construction to ensure the building can withstand it.

4. How does temperature affect air pressure in a 500m skyscraper?

Temperature has an indirect effect on air pressure in a 500m skyscraper. As temperature increases, air molecules gain more energy and move faster, resulting in a higher pressure. However, the temperature inside a skyscraper is typically controlled, so it would not have a direct impact on air pressure in the building.

5. Can the height of a skyscraper impact air pressure inside the building?

Yes, the height of a skyscraper can impact air pressure inside the building. As the height increases, the air pressure decreases, which can lead to differences in pressure between the top and bottom of the building. This can cause issues with ventilation and air flow, which must be carefully designed to ensure proper air pressure and circulation throughout the building.