Solve a limit with a nth root, with n -> infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about solving the limit of a complex function involving the nth root. Different approaches are suggested, such as using L'Hopital's rule and rewriting the expression in a simpler form. One person suggests taking the logarithm to make the problem easier to analyze. Another suggests factoring the function and looking at the limit of each factor separately. The conversation ends with a reminder to go back to basics and calculate the limit of ##\frac{1}{n} \ln n##.
coltson

Homework Statement

Solve the
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n] \frac {n²+1} {n⁷-2} ##

3. The attempt of a solution:

First I thought about using L'Hopital's rule, but the nth root makes it useless.
Then I thought about to eliminate the root multiplying it by something that is one, but is able to modify the root's Nth power so I can start to work on it's inner.

Is that a good approach? If it is, any suggestions of the values that can be used? If it's not, what approach can I use? Thanks for the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Rewrite your expression on the form ##e^{f(n)}##, where ##f(n)## is some function of ##n##. It should be apparent what the limit of that function is and therefore how your limit behaves.

coltson said:

Homework Statement

Solve the

3. The attempt of a solution:

First I thought about using L'Hopital's rule, but the nth root makes it useless.
Then I thought about to eliminate the root multiplying it by something that is one, but is able to modify the root's Nth power so I can start to work on it's inner.

Is that a good approach? If it is, any suggestions of the values that can be used? If it's not, what approach can I use? Thanks for the input.

Often in such problems it is helpful to factor the function involved. In this case we can write
$$\frac{n^2+1}{n^7-2} = \frac{n^2}{n^7} \cdot \frac{1+\frac{1}{n^2}}{1 - \frac{2}{n^7}}= \frac{1}{n^5} \cdot \frac{1+\frac{1}{n^2}}{1 - \frac{2}{n^7}}$$
and then look at the ##n##th roots of each factor separately.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Rewrite your expression on the form ##e^{f(n)}##, where ##f(n)## is some function of ##n##. It should be apparent what the limit of that function is and therefore how your limit behaves.

I don't know how to rewrite it.

Ray Vickson said:
Often in such problems it is helpful to factor the function involved. In this case we can write
$$\frac{n^2+1}{n^7-2} = \frac{n^2}{n^7} \cdot \frac{1+\frac{1}{n^2}}{1 - \frac{2}{n^7}}= \frac{1}{n^5} \cdot \frac{1+\frac{1}{n^2}}{1 - \frac{2}{n^7}}$$
and then look at the ##n##th roots of each factor separately.

$$ \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n] \frac{1}{n^5}$$ becames $$ \infty^0 $$. The rest I think follows similar paths.

coltson said:
$$ \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n] \frac{1}{n^5}$$ becames $$ \infty^0 $$. The rest I think follows similar paths.
No, absolutely not! ##\infty^0## is virtually meaningless; I can find examples where "it" equals 0, or 1, or 1,000,000 or ##+\infty.## You simply cannot avoid actually taking the limit, and in such cases, looking at the logarithm is often useful.

coltson said:
You could appeal to the definition of exponentiation for real numbers: ##a^b = e^{b\log a}##.

The thing that makes this problem complicated is the presence of ##n## in the exponent, right? You want to get it out of the exponent, so try taking the logarithm, as Ray suggests, and use the properties of log to make the expression easier to analyze.

$$ \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \sqrt [n] \frac{1}{n^5}$$ becames $$ \infty^0.$$ The rest I think follows similar paths.
You got that backwards. The insides go to 0 and the exponent goes to infinity. Either way, it's an indeterminate form, so you need to try a different approach.

Taking the log, I have: ##
lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} e^ {\frac 1 n * ln (\frac {n^2+1} {n^7-2}) } ##

If that is correct I end with ## e^ { 0 * ln (\frac \infty \infty) } ## with is not the answer.

coltson said:

If that is correct I end with ## e^ { 0 * ln (\frac \infty \infty) } ## with is not the answer.

It is not correct: why do you continue to plug in ##n = \infty?## You just cannot do that!

Anyway, I give up.

Last edited:
coltson said:

##\frac \infty \infty## is an indeterminate form. You need to do a little more work to get an answer.

coltson said:

maybe re-writing it as

##\frac{1}{n^7} \leq \frac {n²+1} {n⁷-2} \leq n²+1 \leq n^7##

would be helpful.

(assumming ##n\geq 2## )

Now, you should know that nth roots of positive numbers preserve ordering (why?).

coltson said:

It looks like we have to go back to basics. First, can calculate the following limit?

## \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \ln n ##

Ray Vickson said:
It is not correct: why do you continue to plug in ##n = \infty?## You just cannot do that!

I know that (obviously). I did it as to show that I do not know how to proceed.

Ray Vickson said:
Anyway, I give up.

Well, thanks for nothing then.

vela said:
##\frac \infty \infty## is an indeterminate form.

Yes, I know that. See my first quote in this post.

vela said:
You need to do a little more work to get an answer
Well, saying that alone does not help at all. To say what kind of work might .

StoneTemplePython said:
maybe re-writing it as

##\frac{1}{n^7} \leq \frac {n²+1} {n⁷-2} \leq n²+1 \leq n^7##

would be helpful.

(assumming ##n\geq 2## )

Now, you should know that nth roots of positive numbers preserve ordering (why?).

Well, since that for ##n>2## these inequalities are always truth, you always end having 4 numbers, that grow up from left from right. The two that are more to the right will be bigger than one . And since ## n^7## will be a bigger value than ##n^2+1##, its nth root value will also end being bigger than the other nth root value.

Now the first two values will always be smaller than one. And any nth root of number between 0 and one will always being smaller than one. So they are smaller than the values to their right.

For the remaining case I can't think in an explanation at the moment.

nrqed said:
It looks like we have to go back to basics. First, can calculate the following limit?

Not really.

coltson said:
Not really.

Well, as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, ##ln(n) \rightarrow \infty##. So ##\frac{ln(n)}{n}## is an indefinite form: ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##. You can use L'Hospital's rule.

Related to Solve a limit with a nth root, with n -> infinity

1. What does it mean to solve a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity?

When solving a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity, we are trying to find the value that the expression approaches as n gets larger and larger. This is known as the limit of the expression and is often denoted by the symbol "lim".

2. How do you solve a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity?

To solve a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity, we need to first simplify the expression by factoring out any common factors or using other algebraic techniques. Then, we can use the properties of limits to evaluate the limit. This may involve using L'Hopital's rule or other advanced techniques.

3. Can a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity have multiple solutions?

No, a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity can only have one solution. This is because as n approaches infinity, the expression will either approach a single number or it will approach positive or negative infinity.

4. Is there a specific method for solving a limit with a nth root as n approaches infinity?

Yes, there are specific methods and rules for solving limits with nth roots as n approaches infinity. These include the use of L'Hopital's rule, the squeeze theorem, and other limit properties. It is important to understand and apply these techniques correctly in order to find the limit accurately.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving limits with a nth root as n approaches infinity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving limits with a nth root as n approaches infinity. For example, in physics, limits with nth roots as n approaches infinity can be used to determine the velocity or acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, limits can be used to model and predict market trends and behaviors. These are just a few examples of how limits with nth roots are used in practical scenarios.