Solve 2^27841 mod 34 by Hand: Discrete Math Problem Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving 2^27841 mod 34 by hand using Euler's totient theorem. The speaker found that 11 is a factor of 27841 and 2531 is prime, and suggests using 2^{17} \equiv 2 \mod 34 to simplify the calculations. The question of using modular exponentiation is also brought up.
raross
could someone show me how u would solve 2^27841 mod 34 by hand? I know what theorm to use, I am just having trouble using it? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What theorem would you use? Anyways, if it helps, 27841 = 11x2531 and 34 = 2x17. I found that 11 was a factor of 27841 by trial and error, and then by a lot more trial and error, found that 2531 is prime. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake in the calculations.

Is there any other way to do this without changing the base?

Euler's totient theorem?
Is a bit tricky because 34 and 2 are not co-prime.
but
[tex]2^{17} \equiv 2 \mod 34[/tex]
Then we can use that
[tex]27841 \equiv 1 \mod 16[/tex]
to get
[tex]2^{27841} \equiv 2^{1} \equiv 2 \mod 34[/tex]

hrm yeah that works. How would you solve it with modular exponentiation?

Related to Solve 2^27841 mod 34 by Hand: Discrete Math Problem Solution

1. What is the meaning of "mod" in this equation?

In this equation, "mod" refers to the modulo operation, which gives the remainder after dividing the first number by the second number.

2. What is the significance of solving this problem by hand?

Solving this problem by hand helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows for a better understanding of the underlying principles of modular arithmetic.

3. What is the purpose of using a large exponent like 27841 in this problem?

The purpose of using a large exponent is to demonstrate the power of modular arithmetic in handling extremely large numbers. It also showcases the complexity of the problem and the importance of using efficient methods to solve it.

4. Can this problem be solved using a calculator or computer?

Yes, this problem can be solved using a calculator or computer. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving it by hand to fully grasp the concept of modular arithmetic.

5. Are there any practical applications of this problem in real life?

Yes, modular arithmetic has various applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and coding theory. It is used in encryption algorithms to ensure secure communication over the internet.