Solve 1-D Kinematic Flea Jump Problem

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the flea has an initial velocity of 3.16 m/s and spends a total of 0.6448 seconds in the air. The kinematics equation v = v0 + at can be used to solve for the initial velocity without relying on time.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

If a flea can jump straight up to a height of 0.510 m, what is its initial speed as it leaves the ground? How long is it in the air?

Homework Equations

The four kinematics equations with constant acceleration I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

I let the positive y-axis be the jump height and the x-axis time.

From there I list some known variables:
[itex]a_{y} = -9.8 m/s^{2}[/itex]
[itex]y_{0} = 0 m[/itex]
[itex]\Delta y = 0.510 m[/itex]

I'm not really sure how to get it from here. I am assuming that he reaches the apex of y=0.510 meters at 1/2 the total air time. But I can't figure out which equation to use in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure this is the equation to use here.

[tex]v_{f}^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2(a)d[/tex]

Do I assume his final velocity is at the apex of the jump, thus?

[tex]0^{2} = v_{0}^{2}+ 2(-9.8)(0.510)[/tex]

So his initial velocity would be:

[tex]v_{0} = \sqrt{2(9.8)(.510)}[/tex]

Since you don't know time, which of the 4 equations does not rely on time?

[edit] You beat me to it. Looks like you are on the right track!

lewando said:
Since you don't know time, which of the 4 equations does not rely on time?

The one above, making initial velocity = 3.16 (to two significant figures)I think that opens up the possibility of using this one:

[tex]x(t) = x_{0} + tv_{0} + \frac{at^{2}}{2}[/tex]
?

So:
[tex].510 = 0 + 3.16t + 4.9t^{2}[/tex]

therefor t= .13368 (about 0.134 seconds)

That seems like a small timeframe to me, which is why I am wondering if I am on the right track here.

Edit: Yeah that is incorrect, I don't see what I am doing wrong here. Oh wait it should be -9.8, giving it another shot..

Last edited:
Okay, that can't be it because that quadratic equation would not be solvable.

Oh my, I had the right time, I just needed to multiply it by 2 to represent the other 1/2 of the jump because t was giving me the time at the top...

Using -9.8 in the above gave me t = .3224 so really it was 6.448

Ugh.

Thanks

You need to be careful when evaluating -4.9t2 +3.16t -0.51 = 0. The B coefficient in not "3.16", but rather [tex]\sqrt{2*9.8*0.51}[/tex] That's why the imaginaries pop up with calculators, applets, etc.

Keep it simple: v = v0 + at gets you there also.

Using -9.8 in the above gave me t = .3224 so really it was 6.448
I think you meant round trip time is 0.6448 seconds

Related to Solve 1-D Kinematic Flea Jump Problem

1. What is a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem?

A 1-D kinematic flea jump problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a flea jumping in a straight line.

2. How do you solve a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem?

To solve a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to consider the initial conditions and any forces acting on the flea.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Additionally, you will need to understand the basic principles of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem include forgetting to consider all forces acting on the flea, using incorrect equations, and not properly setting up the problem with the given initial conditions.

5. How can solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem be applied in real life?

Solving a 1-D kinematic flea jump problem can have practical applications in fields such as sports, engineering, and biology. For example, understanding the motion of a flea can help engineers design more efficient jumping machines, and studying the physics of a flea's jump can provide insights into the biomechanics of animal movement.