Solve 0.700 Ohm Resistance Wire Length w/ 0.900 g Copper

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: I needed.In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the length of a uniform wire made of 0.900 g of copper with a resistance of 0.700 ohms. The formula R = pL/A is used, where A represents the cross sectional area of the wire. The conversation also mentions finding the volume of the wire using the mass and density of copper, and using equations to solve for the unknown variables.
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

Suppose that you wish to fabricate a uniform wire out of 0.900 g of copper. If the wire is to have a resistance R = 0.700 ohm, and if all of the copper is to be used.

(a) What will be the length of the wire? M

Homework Equations

R = pL/A

R = .700 ohm and p = 1.7 x 10^-8

The Attempt at a Solution

first thing i did was input the given number

.700 = (1.7x10^-8)L/A

my main problem is finding A with the given weight of copper, but this is what i did.

n = m/M = .900/63.54 = .0142 then,

.0142(6.02x10^23) = 8.53 x 10^21

this is where i get lost because to get A its A = DeltaQ/DeltaT but time was never a given and i believe its not needed.

(8.53 x 10^21) x (1.6 x 10^-19) = 1364.8

I know there are other ways to get "A" by A = DeltaV/R but Volts were never given.

Any help on this would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are trying to find the number of electrons in the copper or something like that?

In your formula R = pL/A, A is the cross sectional area of the wire. It's not the current, or anything else to do with Amperes.

Start by finding the volume of the wire from the mass and the density of copper.

okay that seem to be wrong from what I thought I was suppose to do. I am suppose to find the length of the wire but I don't know how and i guess i read the wrong things.

How would i calculate the volume of the wire? I have no knowledge in chemisty so what would the density of copper be?

Okay, i think i got it

V = m/d

V = .0009/8960 = .0000001 m^3

Last edited:
OK, now you know the volume, you have two unknown quantities, the area and the length, and two equations:

volume = area * length
R = pL/A

Thanks for the help. I was finally able to get the answer

Related to Solve 0.700 Ohm Resistance Wire Length w/ 0.900 g Copper

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated by dividing the resistivity of the material (in this case, copper) by the cross-sectional area of the wire, and then multiplying by the length of the wire. The formula is R = ρ * (L/A), where R is resistance, ρ is resistivity, L is length, and A is cross-sectional area.

2. What is the resistivity of copper?

The resistivity of copper is 1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-meters. This value may vary slightly depending on the purity of the copper.

3. How do I convert grams to meters for the length of the wire?

In order to convert grams to meters, you will need to know the density of the material. In this case, the density of copper is 8.96 g/cm^3. So, to convert grams to meters, you would use the formula L = (m / (ρ * A)), where L is length, m is mass in grams, ρ is density, and A is cross-sectional area.

4. Can I use this formula for wires made of materials other than copper?

Yes, the formula for calculating resistance can be used for wires made of any material. However, the resistivity value will vary depending on the material. You will need to know the specific resistivity of the material you are using in order to make accurate calculations.

5. How do I choose the appropriate wire length for a specific resistance?

In order to choose the appropriate wire length for a specific resistance, you will need to know the resistivity of the material, the desired resistance, and the cross-sectional area of the wire. Then, you can rearrange the formula R = ρ * (L/A) to solve for the length of the wire, L. Keep in mind that longer wires will have higher resistance, while shorter wires will have lower resistance.