Solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation

In summary: The momentum eigenvalue problem is the question of finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the momentum operator.In summary, my lecturer has a small section titled "Solving for the Free Schrodinger Equation", which he successfully follows through to obtain: Ae^{+i\sqrt{{2mE}/{\hbar^{2}}}x}+Be^{-i\sqrt{{2mE}/{\hbar^{2}}}x}. He then leaves out one half of the solution, forgetting to include the negative- momentum term. When asked, he states that he just doesn't want to be completely rigorous. He's just allowing ##p## to be either positive or negative
elemis
So starting from the time dependent schrodinger equation I perform separation of variables and obtain a time and spatial part. The spatial part is in effect the time independent schrodinger equation.

Since we are dealing with a free particle I can take the time independent equation, set V = 0 and solve.

I can do this successfully to obtain :

[itex]Ae^{+i\sqrt{{2mE}/{\hbar^{2}}}x}+Be^{-i\sqrt{{2mE}/{\hbar^{2}}}x}[/itex]

My lecturer has a small section titled :

>Solving for the Free Schrodinger Equation

[itex]V=0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2}+E\psi=0[/itex]

[itex]E=\frac{p^2}{2m}[/itex]

[itex]\psi=Ce^{-{iEt}/{\hbar}+{ipr}/{\hbar}}[/itex]

This is the solution to the free TISE and TDSE.

So when I follow through and solve for the spatial part of his final solution I obtain :

[itex]A'e^{+ip/\hbar}+B'e^{-ip/\hbar}[/itex]

He seems to have conveniently ignored/left out one half of the above solution. Why ?

I am also aware that [itex]e^{-{iEt}/{\hbar}}[/itex] is simply the solution the time dependent part of the equation so my only issue is why he has left out a certain bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
elemis said:
He seems to have conveniently ignored/left out one half of the above solution. Why ?

I don't think anyone here can read his mind. Ask him. :smile:

My guess is that he simply did not intend to be completely rigorous.

He's just allowing ##p## to be either positive or negative. Since ##E## is proportional to ##p^2##, either positive or negative values will lead to the same value of energy.

Likes 1 person
Correct. In addition, for the same value of E, both positive and negative values of p can be present, in a superposition, so the two-term solution is a bit more general. We actually use this solution for the "particle in a box" where the boundary conditions lead to coefficients such that the two terms combine to give a (real) sine or cosine.

Of course, that's not a free particle, but it's still V = 0.

Right, but in a free particle with no boundary conditions, you are already allowed to have a superposition of different values of ##E## anyway, so the entire expression is already meant to be taken as only one term in the superposition. If that's the case, it's redundant to also go and write out the positive- and negative- momentum terms separately--you can just say "for any value of ##E##, and for any value of ##p## for which ##E = \frac{p^2}{2m}##.

please somebody tell us how he canceled out B exp(-ikx) in the spatial part and mention the necessary boundary condition

thx

He is simply not clear enough about what he wants to do! Obviously he is looking for the energy eigensolutions for a free particle, and then it's clear that you get for each non-zero spectral value of the Hamiltonian two linearly independent generalized eigenfunctions, namely the ones you found. This is called "degeneracy". The reason for a degeneracy is often (if not always) a symmetry of the problem. Here it's invariance under spatial reflections, i.e., the symmetry of the Hamiltonian under ##x \rightarrow -x##, ##p \rightarrow -p##. Thus, to completely specify the eigenstate you can choose parity as another observable, and this leads to clearly defined eigenfunctions (setting ##\hbar=1##):
$$u^{(+)}_E=N \cos(\sqrt{2 m E} x), \quad u^{(-)}_E(x)=N \sin(\sqrt{2m E x}).$$
Of course, also your professor's solution is correct, but it's incomplete, because for any ##E>0## there are two solutions, making up the complete (generalized) basis of the eigenspace ##\mathrm{Eig}(\hat{H},E)##.

Another thing is the momentum eigenvalue problem. The momentum spectrum is not degenerate, and then your professor's solution is unique,
##u_p(x)=N \exp(\mathrm{i} p x).##

Related to Solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation

1. What is the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation?

The 1D Free Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in one dimension, such as a particle moving along a line. It takes into account the particle's position, momentum, and the potential energy of its surroundings.

2. What does the solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation represent?

The solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation represents the wave function of the quantum particle. This wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding the particle at a certain position and time.

3. How is the solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation obtained?

The solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation is obtained by solving the differential equation that describes the behavior of the quantum particle. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and integration.

4. What are some applications of the solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation?

The solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation has many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of electrons in atoms, the motion of particles in a potential well, and the transmission of waves through a potential barrier.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution of the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation?

While the solution to the 1D Free Schrodinger Equation is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of quantum particles, it does have some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of relativity or interactions between particles, and it cannot be applied to systems with more than one dimension.