Solution to EM Wave: Questions & Answers

In summary: E}(\textbf{r},t)=A_1(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}+A_2(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^2(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}...or is it just a pure sine and cosine?
KFC
I know that in free space, the general solution of the wave equation about electric field is of sine and cosine form. One can also write it in complex form as

[tex]E = E_0 \exp(i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r} - i\omega t)[/tex]

I have two queations about this solution

1) If consider the polarization, how should I rewrite the solution?

2) In the presence of polarization, will the angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] depend on polarization?

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
I know that in free space, the general solution of the wave equation about electric field is of sine and cosine form. One can also write it in complex form as

[tex]E = E_0 \exp(i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r} - i\omega t)[/tex]

I have two queations about this solution

1) If consider the polarization, how should I rewrite the solution?

2) In the presence of polarization, will the angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] depend on polarization?

I just find the solution involves polarization in another textbook, it reads

[tex]\vec{E} = \tilde{E} \exp(i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r} - i\omega t)[/tex]

where [tex]\tilde{E}[/tex] is complex amplitude represent the amplitude and the polarization. The book read: for finding the general multi-mode solution, we have to add up all possible solutions of above form

[tex]\sum_{k}\sum_p\tilde{E}_{k,p} \exp(i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r} - i\omega_{k, p} t)[/tex]

Now the complex amplitude depends on wavenumber k and p (polarization I guess). Well, I don't understand why a 'p' there? If we need to sum over p, so what values of p is allowed? In the book, it said p can be 1 or 2, but why is that? The last question is about the frequency, why it also depends on p?

That is because the EM wave is a transverse wave. The direction of the wave propagation is "k". So the E vector is in the plane perpendicular to the "k" vector. So E can be given in a basis of two vectors in the plane, representing polarization.
Explicitly:
Let [tex]\textbf{n}[/tex] be a unit vector parallel to the direction of wave propagation, that is parallel to [tex]\textbf{k}[/tex]. This means that we can write [tex]\textbf{k}=k\textbf{n}[/tex] where k is the absolute value of the k vector.

Now let's take a unit vector in the plane perpendicular to the k vector, that is let:

[tex]\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})=0[/tex]

We want an orthonormal basis in this plane. But we know that we can generate a unit vector orthogonal to e^1 via the cross product, so let:

[tex] \textbf{e}^2(\textbf{n})=\textbf{n}\times\textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})[/tex]

Now since the E vector is in this plane, it can be given as a linear combination of the above two unit vectors. So we have for E:

[tex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=A_1(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}+A_2(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^2(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}[/tex]

Using summation notation:

[tex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=\sum_{p=1}^2A_p(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^p(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}[/tex]

So the polarization state can be represented by the vector (A_1,A_2). This is called the Jones vector. hence the p index.

Thaakisfox said:
That is because the EM wave is a transverse wave. The direction of the wave propagation is "k". So the E vector is in the plane perpendicular to the "k" vector. So E can be given in a basis of two vectors in the plane, representing polarization.
Explicitly:
Let [tex]\textbf{n}[/tex] be a unit vector parallel to the direction of wave propagation, that is parallel to [tex]\textbf{k}[/tex]. This means that we can write [tex]\textbf{k}=k\textbf{n}[/tex] where k is the absolute value of the k vector.

Now let's take a unit vector in the plane perpendicular to the k vector, that is let:

[tex]\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})=0[/tex]

We want an orthonormal basis in this plane. But we know that we can generate a unit vector orthogonal to e^1 via the cross product, so let:

[tex] \textbf{e}^2(\textbf{n})=\textbf{n}\times\textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})[/tex]

Now since the E vector is in this plane, it can be given as a linear combination of the above two unit vectors. So we have for E:

[tex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=A_1(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^1(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}+A_2(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^2(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}[/tex]

Using summation notation:

[tex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=\sum_{p=1}^2A_p(\textbf{k})\textbf{e}^p(\textbf{n})e^{i(\textbf{k}\textbf{r}-\omega(\textbf{k})t)}[/tex]

So the polarization state can be represented by the vector (A_1,A_2). This is called the Jones vector. hence the p index.

Thanks a lot. Very clear :)

But in your explanation, it seems that the angular frequency only depends on k but not polarization (so no p index in [tex]\omega[/tex])?

By the way, if it is not plane wave, do we still have something like polarization?

Related to Solution to EM Wave: Questions & Answers

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM (electromagnetic) wave is a type of wave that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. These waves are made up of a combination of electric and magnetic components that are perpendicular to each other and travel at the speed of light.

2. How is an EM wave produced?

EM waves are produced by the acceleration of electrically charged particles. This can occur through various means, such as the movement of electrons in an antenna or the vibrations of atoms in a heated object. Accelerated charges create oscillating electric and magnetic fields, which then propagate as an EM wave.

3. What are the properties of EM waves?

EM waves have several key properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. Frequency is the number of complete oscillations per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude is the maximum height of the wave and determines its intensity. Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields in relation to the direction of wave propagation.

4. What is the relationship between EM waves and light?

EM waves and light are essentially the same thing. Light is a type of EM wave that falls within the visible spectrum, while other EM waves, such as radio waves and X-rays, fall outside of this range. However, they all have the same properties and are governed by the same principles of electromagnetism.

5. How are EM waves used in everyday life?

EM waves have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including communication (such as radio, television, and cell phones), medical imaging (such as X-rays and MRI), and cooking (such as microwaves). They are also used in technologies like Wi-Fi, radar, and satellite communication. Without EM waves, many modern technologies would not be possible.