Sol'n: Find Force P to Balance Weight of Blocks A and B

In summary, the problem involves finding the force P needed to keep a system in equilibrium in tension in a cable. By drawing a free body diagram for each block and using different axes, the equilibrium equations were written and solved, resulting in a value of 11.55kN for P. The solution was confirmed to be correct.
Melawrghk
This is just a problem from my midterm, and I was wondering if I did it correctly

Homework Statement

205-MT.jpg

Weight of block B is 15kN, weight of block A is 25kN. Find force P that has to be applied to keep the system in equilibrium in tension in the cable

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I figured I'd draw a FBD around block B (FBD1 on the image). I also decided I would use a different axis (x' and y'). From this I was able to write the equilibrium equations:
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=3T-15*cos(60)=0, from which T=2.5kN
(I also wrote the Fy equation, but I won't post it because it serves no real point)

Next, I drew a FBD around block A (FBD2 on the image). I used a different axis once again. And I got:
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=-25*cos(60)+P(cos30)+2.5kN=0, from which P=11.55kN

Is that correct? It makes sense in my head, but then again that wouldn't be the first time my gut feeling is wrong.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
...but this time, your gut feeling is right.

Hello,

Your solution looks correct to me. I agree with your equations and calculations. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure it makes sense logically. In this case, your solution aligns with what I would expect based on the given information. Great job!

Your approach and calculations seem to be correct. It is important to draw accurate free body diagrams and use the correct equations for equilibrium in order to solve this type of problem. Good job!

Related to Sol'n: Find Force P to Balance Weight of Blocks A and B

1. How do I calculate the weight of block A and B?

To calculate the weight of block A and B, you will need to know the mass of each block in kilograms (kg) and the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared (m/s²). Then, use the formula weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity (F = mg) to find the weight of each block.

2. What is force P?

Force P is the unknown force that needs to be applied to block A in order to balance the weight of block B. It is usually expressed in Newtons (N).

3. How can I find the value of force P?

To find the value of force P, you will need to use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero. In this case, the weight of block A and B must be balanced by the force P, so you can set up an equation: Weight of block A + Weight of block B = Force P. Then, solve for Force P.

4. What are the units of force P?

The units of force P will depend on the units used for mass (kg) and acceleration due to gravity (m/s²). If mass is in kilograms and acceleration due to gravity is in meters per second squared, then the unit for force P will be Newtons (N).

5. Can force P be negative?

Yes, force P can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. In other words, force P is pulling up on block A while the force of gravity is pulling down on block A. This negative force is necessary to balance the weight of block B.