Solidworks Modeling Help: Geodesic Dome Pentagons, Hexagons, Struts

In summary, I am new to modeling and am trying to draw a geodesic dome consiting of pentagons with 30degree stuts at each point forming a hexagon. The final strut joining the 2 pentagons is not lining up and is too short. Everything is equal and symetrical.
Byron C
I am new to modeling and am trying to draw a geodesic dome consiting of pentagons with 30degree stuts at each point forming a hexagon. The final strut joining the 2 pentagons is not lining up and is too short. Everything is equal and symetrical. What is going on? Should they line up?

Attachments

• Dome copy.jpg
    Dome copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 778
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% familiar with solidworks, but are you actually placing the struts, etc? My attempt would be to create the "rings" seperately. Then (in Unigraphics) I would bring them in each as a different components in am assembly. From there rather than specifying a position/angle, you can simply give the edges and points constraints. So, rather than edge 10 being connected to point 56 at a 15.223634532°, its just connected to these points. It should force the angles and everything by itself if you constrain it properly.

at least that's what I would try to do.

Moderators,

Am I permitted to refer the OP to another forum? I'm not in any way promoting the site I would refer him to, but this is close to a world class problem due to a bug/quirk/interesting feature in SolidWorks which causes loss of mates in problems like this.

I know how to do this using the "use a larger hammer" method, but I think the OP really wants a more elegant solution than that. Some of the User Group gurus have dealt with this and should be able to help him.

Last edited:
You're going to have to be more descriptive as to how you are doing this? Are you importing coordinates, working off a 3D sketch, sketch/extruding as you go? Place some measurement constraints on the drawing to see if the numbers at least match up.

I am drawing the pentagon (Yellow) on the front plane with sketched lines, the sketch is symmetrical about the Y axis and the top point of the pentagon is at the origin. I then draw a circle on the right plane at the top point of the pentagon (at the origin) and extrude the circle on a sweep to form the round bar pentagon. I then create a 30 degree plane from the top plane through the origin on the top corner point of the sketched pentagon and draw circle on that plane and extrude it to form the short strut(Blue) at 30 degrees. I then mirror the short struts to the other corners of the pentagon. In a new part I then create my long strut(Pink) with a circle and extrude it. I then create an assembly with the pentagon and insert the long strut mating it coincident and concentric to the short strut. I then insert a duplicate of the pentagon and mate it the same way to the other end of the long strut. Then repeat the insert long struts and pentagons and mating process. The final strut that joins the 2 inserted pentagons is not lining up and too short as seen in the pic.

Last edited:

Related to Solidworks Modeling Help: Geodesic Dome Pentagons, Hexagons, Struts

1. What is Solidworks modeling?

Solidworks modeling is a computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating 3D models of various objects and structures. It is widely used in engineering, architecture, and other industries to design and visualize products before they are physically built.

2. What is a geodesic dome?

A geodesic dome is a spherical or partially spherical structure made up of interconnected triangular or polygonal panels. It is known for its strength, stability, and efficient use of materials. Geodesic domes are often used as greenhouses, shelters, and event spaces.

3. How do I model geodesic dome pentagons and hexagons in Solidworks?

To model geodesic dome pentagons and hexagons in Solidworks, you can use the "Insert" feature to create the individual panels and then use the "Pattern" feature to replicate them around the dome's surface. You can also use the "Wrap" feature to wrap a pattern around a spherical surface.

4. What are struts in geodesic dome modeling?

Struts are the structural elements that connect the panels of a geodesic dome. They provide stability and strength to the dome structure. In Solidworks modeling, struts can be created using the "Extrude" or "Sweep" feature, depending on the desired shape and size.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources for Solidworks modeling of geodesic domes?

Yes, there are various tutorials and resources available for Solidworks modeling of geodesic domes. You can find them on the Solidworks website, YouTube, and other online platforms. You can also join online communities or forums to connect with other Solidworks users and learn from their experiences.