Solid State Hydrogen storage volumes

In summary, solid state hydrogen storage can have a volumetric density of up to 6-7 kg/m3, but for a 4kg storage system, a volume of 8-20m3 would be needed.
patriklouko
I am trying to figure out what the actual efficiency of solid state hydrogen storage is.

So how many kg of hydrogen can you store in a Xcm3 of metal hybride solid state storage.

I was trying to find a conversion and only found a metric that was 500NL in a specific device that had some dimensions.

Or if anybody knows of good practical solutions that I could refer to, much appreciated.

Basically I a trying to find how much volume a 4kg (of hydrogen) solid state storage solution would take? Application is a car. I'm trying to convert an old Audi A2 into a lion + hydrogen. Yes still in the early drawing board, but I have the car.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the exact efficiency of solid state hydrogen storage depends on a variety of factors such as the type of material used for storing, the temperature and pressure of the storage, and the method of storage. Generally, the most efficient solid state hydrogen storage systems have a volumetric density of up to 6-7 kg/m3. However, this is only achievable when storing hydrogen at temperatures below -253°C and pressures above 350 bar. At more moderate temperatures and pressures, the volumetric density of a solid state hydrogen storage system can range anywhere from 0.2-0.5 kg/m3. Therefore, a 4kg hydrogen storage system would require a volume of at least 8-20m3 depending on the temperature and pressure of the storage.

Related to Solid State Hydrogen storage volumes

1. What is solid state hydrogen storage?

Solid state hydrogen storage refers to the process of storing hydrogen in a solid form, typically in materials such as metal hydrides, carbon nanotubes, or metal-organic frameworks. This method is being researched as a potential solution for safe and efficient storage of hydrogen for fuel cell vehicles.

2. How does solid state hydrogen storage work?

Solid state hydrogen storage involves the absorption of hydrogen molecules into the solid material, resulting in a chemical reaction that releases energy when needed. This process can be reversible, allowing the material to release and absorb hydrogen multiple times.

3. What are the advantages of solid state hydrogen storage?

Solid state hydrogen storage has several advantages, including higher energy density compared to compressed or liquid hydrogen storage, increased safety due to lower risk of explosion, and lower costs since the materials used are more abundant and less expensive than those used in traditional storage methods.

4. What is the current state of solid state hydrogen storage research?

There is ongoing research and development in the field of solid state hydrogen storage, with a focus on finding materials that can store and release hydrogen at lower temperatures and pressures. Some promising materials have been identified, but further testing and optimization is needed before they can be used commercially.

5. How can solid state hydrogen storage impact the future of renewable energy?

Solid state hydrogen storage has the potential to play a significant role in the future of renewable energy. It can enable the use of hydrogen as a clean and sustainable energy source, allowing for the storage of excess energy from renewable sources like wind and solar power. It can also help to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.