Solid State - Energy(position)

In summary, the conversation discusses an energy function and its Fourier transform in momentum space. The speaker is unsure about the relation between k and x and is seeking clarification on how to plot the energy for a given range of x values.
dikmikkel

Homework Statement

I have an energy function as follows:
[itex] E = \dfrac{\hbar^2}{2m_e}k_x^2+E_0\left(n_y^2+1\right)[/itex]
Where [itex] E_0 = \dfrac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2m_eL_z}[/itex]
I am asked to plot this energy for [itex]x\in ]-L_z/2;L_z/2[ [/itex]
I know everything but not the relation between k and x?.

The Attempt at a Solution

I Fourier transform the energy from x to k-space(momentum space) and get some dela functions in k multiplied on as one would expect, but this seems odd to me and I want to know:
What is the relation between k and x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow up:
Maybe I shall choose some k and just plot a constant, but it seems silly.

Related to Solid State - Energy(position)

What is solid state energy?

Solid state energy refers to the energy that is stored in a solid material, such as a battery or a capacitor. This energy is typically stored in the form of chemical bonds or electrical charges within the solid material.

How is solid state energy different from other forms of energy?

Unlike other forms of energy, such as thermal or kinetic energy, solid state energy is stored rather than being actively produced. It is also considered a more stable form of energy, as it is less prone to loss or dissipation.

What are some examples of solid state energy?

Some examples of solid state energy include batteries, fuel cells, and capacitors. These devices use solid materials to store and release energy in a controlled manner.

What are the advantages of using solid state energy?

Some advantages of solid state energy include its high energy density, which allows for more energy to be stored in a smaller space, and its long lifespan, as solid state energy devices are less susceptible to wear and tear compared to other energy sources.

How is solid state energy being used in renewable energy technologies?

Solid state energy is being used in a variety of renewable energy technologies, such as solar cells and wind turbines. These devices use solid state materials to capture and store energy from natural sources, making them more efficient and sustainable alternatives to traditional energy sources.