Solid mechanics (shear stress) question

In summary, if you are calculating shear stress on a point on the neutral axis of a beam with a rectangular cross-section, you should use equation 7.27 from "An Introduction to the Mechanics of Solids (second edition with SI units)" by Crandall, dahl, and Lardner.
milan666
Hi, if the shear stress on an element in a solid is SAy/bI, where S is the shear force and y is the distance from the neutral axis, what value of y do i use if the point I'm calculating is on the neutral axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
On first glance, you would use zero. But it would help to know the shape of the solid, the type of loading, how you got SAy/bI, and what the other variables mean for me to be confident with this recommendation.

Its a cantilever beam, with a rectangular cross-section, and i have to find the shear and normal stresses on a point which is at the neutral axis. If y is zero, then the shear force would be zero. Does that mean that there are no shear stresses at a point on the neutral axis? I can't post the actual problem itself cause I am at uni and that would be plagarism.

Last edited:
OK, so what is the loading, why are you using SAy/bI, and what do the other variables mean? If the results of an equation don't match your intuition, it could be sign that you're applying the wrong equation.

Thats what we were taught to use. S is the shear force at that point on the beam, A is the area of the cross section, y is the distance form the neutral axis, b is the width of the cross section, I is the second moment of area.

milan666 said:
Thats what we were taught to use. S is the shear force at that point on the beam, A is the area of the cross section, y is the distance form the neutral axis, b is the width of the cross section, I is the second moment of area.

Are you sure A is the area of the entire cross section and y the distance from the neutral axis, or is A the area of some region above or below the neutral axis, and y the distance from the centroid of that region to the neutral axis?

At the neutral axis, normal stress will be zero (strain is zero at the neutral axis, this is part of how 'neutral axis' is defined).

Also, at the neutral axis, since you have a compressive force on one side and a tensile force on the other, SHEAR stress is a maximum.

"An Introduction to the Mechanics of Solids (second edition with SI units)" by Crandall, dahl, and Lardner lists as Equation 7.27 the following for shear stress in the case of beam described as you do

[tex]
\tau_{xy}=\frac{V}{2 I_{zz}} \left[\left(\frac{h}{2}\right)^2-y_1^2\right]
[/tex]

where h is the height, y1 is the distance from the neutral axis, V is the shear force, and Izz is the moment of inertia--or second moment of area, whichever terminology you're used to (at least I think these are right from when I took mech of matl's last semester).

The important take-away is that shear stress will have a maximum at the neutral axis (y1=0), i.e. you'll need more glue to hold it together there than anywhere else, all other things being simple in an isotropic material.

Last edited:
Oh ok i got it now, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the centroid of the area where you make the cut. Thanks!

Related to Solid mechanics (shear stress) question

1. What is shear stress in solid mechanics?

Shear stress in solid mechanics is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of a solid material, causing it to deform or slide. It is typically represented by the Greek letter tau (τ) and is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

2. How is shear stress calculated?

To calculate shear stress, you need to know the applied force and the area over which it is applied. The formula for shear stress is τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What are the factors that affect shear stress in solid mechanics?

There are several factors that can affect shear stress in solid mechanics, including the type of material, its geometry, and the magnitude and direction of the applied force. Other factors such as temperature, surface roughness, and speed of deformation can also have an impact on shear stress.

4. What are some real-world applications of shear stress?

Shear stress is an important concept in various engineering fields, including civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It is commonly used in the design of structural components, such as beams and columns, as well as in the analysis of fluid flow in pipes and channels. Other applications include cutting and drilling processes, as well as in the study of earthquakes and landslides.

5. How does shear stress differ from other types of stress?

Shear stress differs from other types of stress, such as tensile or compressive stress, in terms of the direction in which the force is applied. While tensile and compressive stress act perpendicular to the surface of a material, shear stress acts parallel to the surface. Additionally, shear stress can cause a material to deform or slide, whereas tensile and compressive stress can cause it to stretch or compress, respectively.