Solid Mechanics: Cantilever Beams & Loads on Neutral Axis

In summary, a cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at one end and used in construction and engineering applications. Loads on a cantilever beam are applied at the free end, and the neutral axis is an imaginary line that runs through the beam's center. The location of the load significantly affects the stress and deflection of the beam. To calculate these values, principles of solid mechanics or online tools can be used.
milan666
Hi,
In a cantilever beam with a load on the free end, at a point on the neutral axis, will the normal stresses (due to bending stress and axial stress) be zero? Or am i wrong? And if i was to draw a Mohr circle for that point at the neutral axis, would the center of the circle be the origin? I am assuming that because there are only shear stresses at that point.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed, as long as the long is perpendicular to the beam axis.

Related to Solid Mechanics: Cantilever Beams & Loads on Neutral Axis

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting freely into space. It is commonly used in construction and engineering applications, such as bridges, balconies, and crane arms.

2. How are loads applied to a cantilever beam?

Loads on a cantilever beam are typically applied at the free end, perpendicular to the beam's length. These loads can include forces, moments, or a combination of both.

3. What is the neutral axis of a cantilever beam?

The neutral axis of a cantilever beam is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the beam's cross-section, where the stress and strain are equal. It is also referred to as the centroid or geometric center of the beam.

4. How does the location of the load affect the stress and deflection of a cantilever beam?

The location of the load on a cantilever beam can significantly affect its stress and deflection. A load applied at the free end will cause the maximum stress and deflection, while a load closer to the fixed end will result in lower stress and deflection values.

5. How can I calculate the stress and deflection of a cantilever beam under a given load?

The stress and deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using principles of solid mechanics, such as Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the use of differential equations. There are also many online calculators and software programs available for these calculations.