Solenoids: Calculate B in Toroidal Magnetism

• Thread starter m_jenny:)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the problem involves a toroidal solenoid with a 60cm inner diameter and a 65cm outer diameter, 200 turns, and a current of 30 Ampere. Using Ampere's law for a toroid, the range of values for B inside the toroid is 0.004T, with the inner radius being 0.3m and the outer radius being 0.325m. However, it is also suggested to use the average radius of 0.3125m to find the range of values.
m_jenny:)

Homework Statement

A toroidal solenoid has a 60cm inner diameter and a 65cm outer diameter. The toroidal solenoid has 200 turns and carries a current of 30 Ampere. Determine the range of values for B inside the toroid.

Homework Equations

Ampere's law for toroid:
B = Uo*N*I/2*pi*r
where Uo = 4.7pi*10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution

as we are given inner diameter = 60cm and outer diameter = 65cm and since the law requires it in radius.. and as r = d/2 therefore inner radius = 30cm = 0.3m and outer radius = 32.5cm = 0.325m

and we are given N as 200 turns and Current(I) as 30 Ampere's
as we have to calculate the value inside B

subbing all given values into the Ampere's law for toroid
gives us (4PI*10^ - 7)(200)(30)/2PI(0.3) = 0.004T

I'm not sure if this is correct? can someone help me out?

thanks for the help :)

Jenny

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK, except I would use the average radius 0.3125 m.

kuruman said:
Looks OK, except I would use the average radius 0.3125 m.

Thanks :) But is there any specific reason why you would use the average radius?

Now that I reread the problem, I see that you are asked to find the range of values, not some kind of average which is what I was proposing. :redface: You need to calculate two values, one for the inner radius and one for the outer radius. That should give you the range of values. :wink:

ah awesome... Thank you :)

Related to Solenoids: Calculate B in Toroidal Magnetism

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a device that consists of a coil of wire carrying an electric current, which produces a magnetic field. It is often used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

How do you calculate the magnetic field (B) in a toroidal solenoid?

The magnetic field (B) in a toroidal solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0*NI/(2πr), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and r is the radius of the toroid.

What is the relationship between the magnetic field (B) and the current (I) in a toroidal solenoid?

The magnetic field (B) in a toroidal solenoid is directly proportional to the current (I) flowing through the coil. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.

What is the role of the radius (r) in calculating the magnetic field (B) in a toroidal solenoid?

The radius (r) of the toroid is a crucial factor in calculating the magnetic field (B) in a toroidal solenoid. As the radius increases, the magnetic field decreases, and vice versa. This is because the distance between the coil and the point at which the magnetic field is being measured increases, resulting in a weaker field.

Can the formula for calculating B be used for any type of solenoid?

No, the formula for calculating B in a toroidal solenoid is specifically for toroidal magnets. Other types of solenoids, such as cylindrical or helical solenoids, have different formulas for calculating the magnetic field.