Solenoid Magnetic Field calculation

In summary, the magnetic field of a solenoid is calculated using Ampere's law, which states that only the current passing through the area of the rectangle is included in the calculation. The vertical components of the path are taken to be zero due to symmetrical reasons and the upper side of the rectangle is assumed to have no influence. While Ampere's law is an approximation, using Biot-Savart's law can provide a more accurate calculation.
UMath1
I am confused about how the magnetic field of a solenoid is calculated in this image.
sol.gif

Why is only the current going into the page included in calculating the magnetic field? Shouldn't the field be twice the amount calculated because there is a magnetic field generated by the part of the turns the bottom with current going out of the page? And I don't understand why the vertical components of the path are taken to be zero. Although it is said that the field is perpendicular, the diagram shows that there is a portion of the field parallel to the vertical path.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But it doesn't answer my question.

UMath1 said:
Why is only the current going into the page included in calculating the magnetic field? Shouldn't the field be twice the amount calculated because there is a magnetic field generated by the part of the turns the bottom with current going out of the page?
Ampere's law is used.
It says that only the current passing through the area of the rectangle is to be included in the calculation:

circ H ⋅ ds = N * I

UMath1 said:
And I don't understand why the vertical components of the path are taken to be zero.

They are not taken to be zero, but they cancel each other due to symmetrical reasons. The formula is only valid as for the center of the solenoid.

The upper side of the rectangle is assumed to be so far away, that it has no influence, so this horizontal component is taken to be zero.
You are the one to sketch the rectangle.

Yes I understand that. But if you use ampere's law that way, the circular winding of the wire seems to have no bearing on the field inside the wire. I thought that the field inside the solenoid is increased because of the winding if the wire.

UMath1 said:
But if you use ampere's law that way, the circular winding of the wire seems to have no bearing on the field inside the wire. I thought that the field inside the solenoid is increased because of the winding if the wire.
I'm not using Ampere's law that way, just using Ampere's law.

If you want a "bearing", you must use Biot-Savart's law. It doesn't need symmetry, infinite length of the solenoid, and so on.

Biot-Savart is accurate in case of finite length of the solenoid. Ampere is an approximation.

Related to Solenoid Magnetic Field calculation

1. What is a solenoid magnetic field?

A solenoid magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that is generated when an electric current flows through a coil of wire known as a solenoid. The strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the current flowing through the solenoid, the number of turns in the coil, and the material surrounding the coil.

2. How is the magnetic field of a solenoid calculated?

The magnetic field of a solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid. This equation assumes the solenoid is tightly wound and has a uniform cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the strength of a solenoid magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid magnetic field is primarily affected by the current flowing through the solenoid and the number of turns in the coil. Other factors that can influence the field strength include the material of the coil, the shape and size of the coil, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

4. How does the direction of a solenoid magnetic field change with current flow?

The direction of a solenoid magnetic field follows the right-hand rule, where if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current flow, then the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. Reversing the direction of the current flow will also reverse the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of solenoid magnetic fields?

Solenoid magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications, including use in electromagnets, electric motors, speakers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also commonly used in scientific research for experiments involving magnetic fields and particles.