Solar eclipse and radiation levels

In summary, the conversation discusses the superstition of not eating during a solar eclipse due to increased UV radiation causing the growth of harmful microbes in food. The speaker questions the validity of this belief and references a paper by biophysicists that documents increased UV levels during a solar eclipse. They also inquire about any other remarkable events associated with a solar eclipse and question the basis for the superstition.
sganesh88
I was instructed by my parents not to eat anything during the solar eclipse that occurred yesterday. Though this is rubbished as a superstition, i also hear reasons that goes like, "The UV radiation received by Earth is higher during the eclipse period triggering the growth of some microbes and consequently infecting the food that we eat"
I don't see any reason why the amount of UV should increase during the solar eclipse period but to my surprise i came across a paper by some Biophysicists who have observed documented such increased levels.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x826423w10j76744/
Is this true?
Apart from some alleged gravitational anomalies, is there any other remarkable event that's associated with a solar eclipse. I always thought it was nothing different from that of my hand obscuring the light bulb; just that eclipses occur in a much larger scale.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I just want to establish your stance:

1] You are aware that, in reality, this is complete hokey wive's tale.
2] You're curious to see if maybe there's any grain of truth that might have given rise to this superstition.

@Dave
Exactly.
Thats why i asked
is there any other remarkable event that's associated with a solar eclipse?

I thought there was no basis to think that UV should increase during a solar eclipse; even when the moon doesn't interfere-normal non-eclipse condition- the same UV would keep entering the earth. But that springerlink page says otherwise.

Related to Solar eclipse and radiation levels

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth. This can happen when the moon is in its new moon phase and its orbit aligns with the sun and Earth.

2. Are there any health risks associated with watching a solar eclipse?

Yes, there are potential health risks associated with watching a solar eclipse. Looking directly at the sun during an eclipse can cause damage to the retina, leading to permanent vision loss. It is important to use proper eye protection, such as certified solar eclipse glasses, when viewing a solar eclipse.

3. How does a solar eclipse affect radiation levels on Earth?

During a solar eclipse, the moon blocks some of the sun's radiation from reaching the Earth's surface. This can cause a temporary decrease in radiation levels, particularly in the ultraviolet (UV) range. However, it is important to note that the overall levels of radiation on Earth are not significantly affected by a solar eclipse.

4. Can radiation levels during a solar eclipse be harmful to plants and animals?

The temporary decrease in radiation levels during a solar eclipse is not harmful to most plants and animals. In fact, some studies have shown that plants may benefit from the decrease in UV radiation. However, it is still important for animals and plants to follow their natural behaviors during an eclipse, as sudden changes in light and temperature can affect their behavior.

5. Are there any scientific experiments that can be conducted during a solar eclipse?

Yes, there are many scientific experiments that can be conducted during a solar eclipse. Some common experiments include measuring the change in temperature and light levels during an eclipse, studying the effects of decreased UV radiation on plants, and observing animal behavior during an eclipse. Scientists also use solar eclipses to study the sun's corona and other solar phenomena.