Soils, mud, dirt Sticking to glass?

• Thread starter dpg1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation was about a project involving flowing soils, mud, or dirt through a glass tube and encountering issues with particles sticking to the bottom. The question was whether the forces involved were due to electrostatic charge or gravity. The suggested solutions included using a salt buffer or using fetal bovine serum to prevent particles from sticking. It was noted that this is not a simple problem to solve and sonication may also be a potential solution.
dpg1
Soils, mud, dirt "Sticking" to glass?

Hi all,

First of all, please feel free to move this question wherever it should go. I truly have no idea if I'm looking in the right place at all, just a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

My question:

For a project I'm working on, I'm required to flow a sample of soils/mud/clay/dirt suspended in either water or a buffer through a glass tube horizontally. Of course, often gravity has it's way and particles sink to the bottom and stick to the bottom of the tube. This is of course expected with big particles, but smaller particles (to give an idea of scale - less than microns) should be pushed along by the flow of the solution? However, they still stick to the bottom. My question is - what are the forces involved? Electrostatic charge? Or is it just good old gravity? It's way out of my area, so as I say, any help, any point in the direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
David

Physics news on Phys.org

It's electrostatic. There's a couple quick fixes to try: 1) instead of water, try a salt buffer: the salt will screen the charges, 300 mM NaCl or KCl is a good starting point. 2) I use fetal bovine serum to help prevent PS or PMMA microspheres from sticking to glass surfaces; the proteins in FBS seem to stick first (via electrostatic interactions), and that helps the particles from sticking.

It's not a trivial problem to solve, if that helps. Sonication may be useful, but may not be practical for your application.

Related to Soils, mud, dirt Sticking to glass?

1. Why do soils, mud, and dirt stick to glass?

Soils, mud, and dirt stick to glass because of the adhesive forces between the glass surface and the particles in the soil. These forces are strong enough to overcome the force of gravity, causing the particles to stick to the glass.

2. How can I prevent soils, mud, and dirt from sticking to glass?

To prevent soils, mud, and dirt from sticking to glass, you can try coating the glass surface with a hydrophobic material, such as wax or silicone. This will create a barrier between the glass and the particles, reducing the adhesive forces and preventing them from sticking.

3. Does the type of soil, mud, or dirt affect its stickiness to glass?

Yes, the type of soil, mud, or dirt can affect its stickiness to glass. For example, soils with high clay content tend to be stickier than sandy soils. The size and shape of the particles can also play a role in how easily they stick to glass.

4. Can temperature affect the stickiness of soils, mud, and dirt to glass?

Yes, temperature can affect the stickiness of soils, mud, and dirt to glass. Warmer temperatures can increase the stickiness of soils, as the particles become more pliable and can adhere more easily to the glass surface. Cooler temperatures can make the particles less sticky and more likely to fall off the glass.

5. What is the best way to clean soils, mud, and dirt off of glass?

The best way to clean soils, mud, and dirt off of glass is to use a combination of water and a mild detergent. Wet the glass with water, then apply the detergent and gently scrub the surface with a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse with clean water and dry with a towel. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the glass surface.