Software Designs Quantum Experiments

In summary, Anton Zeilinger of the University of Vienna used a computer to generate a million guesses in order to design experiments for producing certain quantum states. However, even though the resulting experiments were simple, they were still difficult for humans to understand due to the complexity and lack of intuition in quantum mechanics. This is a common challenge in quantum physics, as stated by John von Neumann, and is not unique to this field. Although the work of Krenn et al. in entanglement of three photons was impressive, it is important to recognize that similar techniques may have already existed in other fields. The question remains whether systems with only a few components can be considered sufficiently complex.
Hornbein
Anton Zeilinger of the University of Vienna was trying to design experiments to produce certain quantum states and wasn't having much luck doing it. "I realized I was just guessing," he said. So why not have a program do that guessing. It can try a million guesses. So he did.

While the resulting experiments are simple, no human seems to be able to "understand" them. That is, they can check and see that the math is correct, but can go no further than that.

It's not really surprising. Those experienced in quantum mechanics often say that intuition gets in the way. They try to concentrate on the math. Since the computer has no intuition to mislead its guesses, it has an advantage.

Zeilinger was working on entanglement of three photons, which evidently is exceptionally weird.

"Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them." -- John von Neumann

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v9/25

Physics news on Phys.org
This is nothing new for people who have been working with optimal control. Actually, I quite disagree with the statement
Quantum theory verifies that Melvin’s arrangements should work, but that doesn’t mean it's easy to understand why. “I still find it quite difficult to understand intuitively what exactly is going on,” Krenn says. Such a lack of understanding, even for experiments with only a few components, “is unique to quantum physics,” says Krenn.
I do not think it is in any way unique to quantum physics, but would happen with any sufficiently complex system.

Just to be clear, I think that Krenn et al. did wonderful work. But it is annoying when an existing technique is introduced in a field and people behave as if they had just invented sliced bread, while researchers down the hallway have shelves full of pre-sliced loaves :smile:

Likes atyy
... for experiments with only a few components ...

DrClaude said:
Actually, I quite disagree with the statement
... would happen with any sufficiently complex system.
I think the question here is whether systems with only a few components can be called sufficiently complex.

Demystifier said:
I think the question here is whether systems with only a few components can be called sufficiently complex.
I was talking about the complexity of the system being controlled. But I agree that small quantum systems are incredibly more complicated than any similar-sized classical system.

Related to Software Designs Quantum Experiments

What is "Software Designs Quantum Experiments"?

"Software Designs Quantum Experiments" refers to the use of computer software to design and simulate experiments involving quantum phenomena. This allows scientists to explore and analyze quantum systems without the need for expensive and complex physical setups.

Why is software important in quantum experiments?

Software is important in quantum experiments because it allows for more precise and efficient control over the experimental parameters. It also enables the simulation of complex quantum systems that may be difficult or impossible to create in a physical laboratory.

What types of software are used in quantum experiments?

There are various types of software used in quantum experiments, such as quantum computing platforms, simulation tools, and data analysis software. Some examples include IBM Quantum Experience, Qiskit, and QuTiP.

How does software improve the accuracy of quantum experiments?

Software can improve the accuracy of quantum experiments by allowing for precise control over the experimental setup and reducing human error. It also enables the analysis of large amounts of data and provides tools for error correction and optimization.

What are the potential applications of software-designed quantum experiments?

The potential applications of software-designed quantum experiments are vast and include quantum computing, cryptography, precision measurement, and quantum simulations for materials and chemical systems. It also has the potential to revolutionize industries such as healthcare, finance, and transportation.