Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS | Free for Classrooms

In summary: I might have to check it out.In summary, this article discusses a java app that was rewritten in JS, and two other programs that are similar to it. One of the programs is written in C++ and the other in JS.
RentonPhysics

Attachments

• record walker60fps.gif
    record walker60fps.gif
    764.3 KB · Views: 561
Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing this.

There are also some cool programs at Processing.org that do similar kinds of things in Java, Python and Javascript.

Likes RentonPhysics
I love that thing. I rewrote it in C++ a long time ago. I implemented a genetic algorithm for all of the springs and lengths and stuff so it evolved a super fast runner.

Likes RentonPhysics
newjerseyrunner said:
I love that thing. I rewrote it in C++ a long time ago. I implemented a genetic algorithm for all of the springs and lengths and stuff so it evolved a super fast runner.

Cool! GA - that was the idea of original author of Soda as well. Did you capture some videos of these evolutions? Was it hard to control? It's extremely interesting to me :)

RentonPhysics said:
Cool! GA - that was the idea of original author of Soda as well. Did you capture some videos of these evolutions? Was it hard to control? It's extremely interesting to me :)
No unfortunately, I didn't. I remember I used the "Dainty Walker" as a base, and evolved from that. I remember that the front legs got shorter and the bag legs got bigger and more powerful. I just let it walk across a randomized terrain and bred the 50% that got the furthest.

Likes RentonPhysics
An interesting variation would be to develop an app that simulated the Interstellar robot TARS' gait.

Likes RentonPhysics
newjerseyrunner said:
No unfortunately, I didn't. I remember I used the "Dainty Walker" as a base, and evolved from that. I remember that the front legs got shorter and the bag legs got bigger and more powerful. I just let it walk across a randomized terrain and bred the 50% that got the furthest.

it sounds similar to this app

RentonPhysics said:
it sounds similar to this app
It acted a lot like that.

Likes RentonPhysics

Related to Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS | Free for Classrooms

What is Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS?

Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS is a free online simulation tool that allows users to create and design 3D structures using virtual particles and springs.

Can anyone use Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS?

Yes, Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS is available for anyone to use. It is particularly useful for students and teachers in classrooms, as it is free and can be used for educational purposes.

Do I need to have coding experience to use Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS?

No, you do not need any coding experience to use Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS. The interface is user-friendly and does not require any coding knowledge.

What can I create with Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS?

Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS allows you to create a variety of 3D structures, from simple objects to complex machines. You can also experiment with different materials and see how they affect the behavior of your structure.

Is Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS safe for classroom use?

Yes, Soda Constructor: Rewritten in JS is safe for classroom use. It does not require any personal information to use and does not have any inappropriate content.