Social Security number function

In summary, the function assigns to everybody in the US their social security number. However, it is not surjective because not everybody in the US has a social security number. It is injective because each SS# is assigned to one and only one person.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

For the given relation, indicate if it is surjective, injective, both (bijective), or neither, and give a brief rationale for your answer.

"The function that assigns to everybody in the US their social security number."

The Attempt at a Solution

The wording on this, to me, isn't too clear, but my guess is that it means the Domain is possible Social Security numbers, and the Codomain is "everybody in the US." If you interpret it differently, please let me know.

Not everybody in the US has a social security number, so it certainly is not surjective. It is injective, since each SS# is assigned to one and only one person.

However, the thing that is throwing me off is, is it a function if there are elements in the domain that are not assigned to any element in the codomain? For example, the SS# 000-00-000 has never been used, so I'm not sure if that matters.

So it is either "neither", since it is not a function, or "injective".

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:
"The function that assigns to everybody in the US their social security number."

The wording on this, to me, isn't too clear, but my guess is that it means the Domain is possible Social Security numbers, and the Codomain is "everybody in the US." If you interpret it differently, please let me know.
I interpret it to mean the other way around: the domain is "everybody in the US" and the codomain is "social security numbers." Unfortunately, this is ill-defined because not everybody in the US has a social security number. A function MUST assign a value to every element in the domain. If this were assigned to me, I would assume (and write a sentence indicating my assumption) that the domain should be "everybody in the US who has a social security number."

Likes 1 person
cool, thanks!

Related to Social Security number function

1. What is a Social Security number?

A Social Security number (SSN) is a unique identification number assigned to individuals for tax purposes in the United States. It consists of nine digits and is primarily used to track an individual's earnings and benefits from Social Security.

2. Why do we need a Social Security number?

A Social Security number is required for individuals to work and pay taxes in the US. It is also used for various other purposes such as opening a bank account, applying for credit, and receiving government benefits.

3. How is a Social Security number assigned?

Social Security numbers are assigned by the Social Security Administration (SSA) through a random number generator. The first three digits, known as the area number, indicate the state where the number was assigned. The next two digits, known as the group number, have no specific meaning and the last four digits, known as the serial number, are assigned in a specific pattern.

4. Can I change my Social Security number?

In general, a Social Security number cannot be changed unless there is a compelling reason such as identity theft or continuous harassment. The process to change a Social Security number is lengthy and requires providing evidence of the need for a new number.

5. Is a Social Security number secure?

Social Security numbers are considered personally identifiable information and should be kept confidential. However, with the increasing prevalence of identity theft, it is important to protect your SSN and only provide it when necessary. The SSA has also implemented measures to improve the security of Social Security numbers, such as using randomized selection of numbers and issuing new cards with unique identifiers.