So, I'm building a coil gun

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with engineering and has five 2200μF capacitors running into a GE C150 SCR that can surge up to 1200 Amps. They need to determine the inductance of a coil that won't exceed 1200 Amps, but come close to it. They are also wondering about ways to increase the resistance in the circuit without spending a lot of money on high wattage resistors. They are advised to check the di/dt rating of their SCR and refer to the GE SCR manual for more information.
mJusticz
...and need some help with a bit of engineering. I've got 5 2200μF capacitors @ 400V (I'm familiar with high voltage + current, just not inductors, and have the appropriate safety gear) in parallel with about .05Ω ESR a piece. These are running into a GE C150 SCR, which can surge up to 1200 Amps. I need to figure out the inductance of a coil that won't exceed that 1200 Amps, but come as close to it as possible. At that point I can use the formulas for multilayer coils to figure out a good way to wind the coil.

Another question: Obviously, increasing the resistance in the circuit will reduce the number of amps passed through the SCR, but what would be the most effective way of doing this (other than spending tons on super high wattage resistors)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
check the di/dt rating of your SCR
http://www.affiliatedelec.com/servlet/the-815/C150E--dsh--110-Amp/Detail
800 A/us ?
i suspect if you size your coil to meet that restriction you'll be okay, but check...

GE SCR manual is best reference around. usually there's one for sale on Ebay.
I like 4th edition best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to So, I'm building a coil gun

1. How does a coil gun work?

A coil gun works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate a projectile. An electric current is passed through a series of coils, creating a magnetic field. This field attracts the projectile, pulling it towards the coils. As the projectile moves, the current is switched to the next set of coils, continuing to accelerate the projectile until it is launched at high speeds.

2. What materials are needed to build a coil gun?

The main components needed to build a coil gun are a power source (such as a battery), capacitors, a trigger mechanism, coils, and a projectile. Other materials such as wires, switches, and a frame to hold the coils may also be necessary depending on the design of the gun.

3. How powerful can a coil gun be?

The power of a coil gun depends on the strength of the magnetic field created by the coils and the speed at which the projectile is launched. With high-powered capacitors and carefully designed coils, a coil gun can potentially launch a projectile at speeds of over 500 meters per second.

4. Is it dangerous to build and use a coil gun?

Building and using a coil gun can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. The high voltage and current used in the gun can cause electric shocks and burns. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when working with a coil gun.

5. What are the potential applications of a coil gun?

Coil guns have many potential applications, including as a non-lethal weapon, a propulsion system for spacecraft, and a tool for launching payloads into space. They can also be used for scientific experiments and demonstrations to study electromagnetism and acceleration.