So, ##f(1) = -1~.##How can I find the value of f(1)

In summary: Rightarrow\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( \dfrac{1}{x}+x \right
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author

Homework Statement

$$f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = x^2+\frac{1}{x^2}\\ f(1) = ?$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe I can find a ##x## that ##x+\frac{1}{x} =1## that I can substitute, but that ##x## is a imaginary number so I am not sure what should I do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just some quick random thoughts. This may get you started.

Did you find a function that satisfies the given condition?

##x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2} = (x+\frac{1}{x})^2 -2##

We have ##f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = (x+\frac{1}{x})^2 -2##

and we can take ##f(y) = y^2 - 2## as an example and from this you can conjecture that ##f(1) = -1##.

Now, this is one specific example. Maybe there are other functions left so there is still work left for you to do.

In fact, the condition ##f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2}## determines the function ##f## uniquely on the set ##\{\frac{1}{x}+x \}## where ##x## runs over an appropriate domain, so you might want to determine this set.

Likes CivilSigma and YoungPhysicist
Math_QED said:
Just some quick random thoughts. This may get you started.

Did you find a function that satisfies the given condition?

##x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2} = (x+\frac{1}{x})^2 -2##

We have ##f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = (x+\frac{1}{x})^2 -2##

and we can take ##f(y) = y^2 - 2## as an example and from this you can conjecture that ##f(1) = -1##.
Thanks! That is the insight I need!
Math_QED said:
In fact, the condition f(x+1x)=x2+1x2f(x+1x)=x2+1x2f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2} determines the function fff uniquely on the set {1x+1}{1x+1}\{\frac{1}{x}+1 \} so you might want to determine this set.
Do you mean making it the form of ##f(x)##?

YoungPhysicist said:
Do you mean making it the form of ##f(x)##?

Yes, from the condition ##f(x+1/x) = x^2 + 1/x^2##, we want to go to something of the form ##f(x)##. Fix an ##y## in the domain of ##f##. If there exists ##x## such that ##y = x+1/x##, then you know that ##f(y) = x^2 + 1/x^2## so this is what I mean with that the given condition implies that you know how ##f## behaves on the set ##\{x+1/x\}##. I'm not sure if this is the right way to proceed as I didn't solve the exercice myself, but it might give you some clue to come to a solution.

Likes YoungPhysicist
YoungPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

$$f(x+\frac{1}{x}) = x^2+\frac{1}{x^2}\\ f(1) = ?$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe I can find a ##x## that ##x+\frac{1}{x} =1## that I can substitute, but that ##x## is a imaginary number so I am not sure what should I do next.
Can we assume f is continuous? Is it defined for x=0?EDIT: Is the domain the Reals? The range/codomain also Real?

WWGD said:
Can we assume f is continuous? Is it defined for x=0?
The problem didn’t specify that, but I think it is not defined at 0 since there are no exceptions written with the function.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Is it defined for x=0?EDIT: Is the domain the Reals? The range/codomain also Real?
Pretty obviously, the function is not defined at x = 0.

YoungPhysicist said:
The problem didn’t specify that, but I think it is not defined at 0 since there are no exceptions written with the function.
With no other information given, it's reasonable to assume that the domain is ##\{x \in \mathbb R : x \ne 0 \}##.

Mark44 said:
Pretty obviously, the function is not defined at x = 0.

With no other information given, it's reasonable to assume that the domain is ##\{x \in \mathbb R : x \ne 0 \}##.
Not quite; there are often piece-wise definitions, e.g., sin(1/x) for ##x\neq 0 ## ; 0 when ## x=0 ##. Specially when the discontinuity is removable, but not necessarily.

WWGD said:
Not quite; there are often piece-wise definitions, e.g., sin(1/x) for ##x\neq 0 ## ; 0 when ## x=0 ##. Specially when the discontinuity is removable, but not necessarily.
Sure, but since no piecewise definition was given, it's not reasonable to assume that the function is defined at x = 0.

YoungPhysicist said:
That is a logical approach. Sure x will be imaginary, but you will end up squaring x everywhere anyway, so the answer will still come out real and correct.
[edit: not to imply that any F(x2)∈ℝ]

The approach of @Math_QED is far more elegant and should be learned from. But there is nothing wrong with your approach, except that you stopped.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
Hiero said:
That is a logical approach. Sure x will be imaginary, but you will end up squaring x everywhere anyway, so the answer will still come out real and correct.
Oh right!

The issue of Domain, etc. is pretty interesting for the formulation of the function being discussed in this thread.

The function, ## f ~ , ## is only given indirectly, and that's only by its composition with another function, let's call it ## g ~ , ## where ##\ g(x) = x + \dfrac{1}{x} \, .##

Thanks to @Math_QED we see that ##\ f(g(x)) = \left( g(x) \right)^2 -2 \, . \ ## Furthermore, to use this idea to determine the value ## f(1)\,, \ ## all that seems to be required is to set ## g(x) ## to be 1. However, there is no real number, ##x##, for which ## g(x)=1 ~ .##

If we consider ## g ## to be a real function, then the domain of ## g ## cannot include zero. (By the way: This has nothing to with the issue of 0 being in the domain of ## f ~. ## ) The natural domain (a.k.a. implicit domain) of ## g ## as a real function is ℝ\{0} . The image of ## g ## for this domain is ##( -\infty,\, -2] ~\cup ~ [ 2, \, \infty) ##, (often referred to as the Range of ## g ##).

The Problem Statement asked for the value of ## f(1) ##, so I assume we need to extend the domain of ##g##. Let's see if that's possible while keeping ## f ## as being a real function, and Ideally have ## f ## continue to be defined by ## f(u) = u^2 - 2 ~ .##

Let's use ## G ## to denote the extension of ## g ##. Furthermore, consider ## x ## to now be complex with real part, ## a ~ ,## and imaginary part, ##b~.## I.e. let ## x = a + bi ~. ## Finally, find the domain, DG ⊂ ℂ, such that the Range of ## G ## is real. ##( G(D_G) \subset \mathbb{R} )\ ##

##G(a + bi) = a + bi +\dfrac{1}{a + bi}##

##= a + bi +\dfrac{a - bi}{a^2+b^2}##

##= \dfrac{a(a^2+b^2+1)}{a^2+b^2}+\dfrac{b(a^2+b^2-1)}{a^2+b^2}i##​
Thus, if ## a^2 + b^2 =1 ~ ##, then ## G(a + bi) ## is real and in fact ## G(a + bi) = 2a ~.##

Of course, if ## b = 0~ ,## then ##x## is purely real and ##G(x) = x + \dfrac{1}{x} \, ,\ ## as desired.

With this extension of ##g##, the function, ## f ## is given by ## f(u) = u^2 - 2 ~, \ ## with a domain of ## \mathbb{R} \,.##

Oh, by the way: If ## x = \pm i,## ##G(x) = 0~,## giving ##f(0) = -2 ~.##

Last edited:
Likes YoungPhysicist
SammyS said:
The issue of Domain, etc. is pretty interesting for the formulation of the function being discussed in this thread.

The function, ## f ~ , ## is only given indirectly, and that's only by its composition with another function, let's call it ## g ~ , ## where ##\ g(x) = x + \dfrac{1}{x} \, .##

Thanks to @Math_QED we see that ##\ f(g(x)) = \left( g(x) \right)^2 -2 \, . \ ## Furthermore, to use this idea to determine the value ## f(1)\,, \ ## all that seems to be required is to set ## g(x) ## to be 1. However, there is no real number, ##x##, for which ## g(x)=1 ~ .##

If we consider ## g ## to be a real function, then the domain of ## g ## cannot include zero. (By the way: This has nothing to with the issue of 0 being in the domain of ## f ~. ## ) The natural domain (a.k.a. implicit domain) of ## g ## as a real function is ℝ\{0} . The image of ## g ## for this domain is ##( -\infty,\, -2] ~\cup ~ [ 2, \, \infty) ##, (often referred to as the Range of ## g ##).

The Problem Statement asked for the value of ## f(1) ##, so I assume we need to extend the domain of ##g##. Let's see if that's possible while keeping ## f ## as being a real function, and Ideally have ## f ## continue to be defined by ## f(u) = u^2 - 2 ~ .##

Let's use ## G ## to denote the extension of ## g ##. Furthermore, consider ## x ## to now be complex with real part, ## a ~ ,## and imaginary part, ##b~.## I.e. let ## x = a + bi ~. ## Finally, find the domain, DG ⊂ ℂ, such that the Range of ## G ## is real. ##( G(D_G) \subset \mathbb{R} )\ ##

I agree with you, but I would believe functions would at least be assumed continuous ( of course, where defined, which is all one can do). Otherwise, I think it is difficult if not impossible to narrow things down enough.
##G(a + bi) = a + bi +\dfrac{1}{a + bi}##

##= a + bi +\dfrac{a - bi}{a^2+b^2}##

##= \dfrac{a(a^2+b^2+1)}{a^2+b^2}+\dfrac{b(a^2+b^2-1)}{a^2+b^2}i##​
Thus, if ## a^2 + b^2 =1 ~ ##, then ## G(a + bi) ## is real and in fact ## G(a + bi) = 2a ~.##

Of course, if ## b = 0~ ,## then ##x## is purely real and ##G(x) = x + \dfrac{1}{x} \, ,\ ## as desired.

With this extension of ##g##, the function, ## f ## is given by ## f(u) = u^2 - 2 ~, \ ## with a domain of ## \mathbb{R} \,.##

Oh, by the way: If ## x = \pm i,## ##G(x) = 0~,## giving ##f(0) = -2 ~.##

Likes YoungPhysicist

Related to So, ##f(1) = -1~.##How can I find the value of f(1)

1. What does "##f(1)##" mean?

"##f(1)##" is a mathematical notation that represents the value of a function, f, when the input is 1. Essentially, it is asking for the output of the function when the input is 1.

2. Why is it important to find the value of ##f(1)##?

Finding the value of ##f(1)## can help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to solve equations or make predictions in real-world situations.

3. How do you find the value of ##f(1)##?

To find the value of ##f(1)##, you need to plug in 1 as the input for the function and then solve for the output. This can be done by following the rules of the specific function or by using a graphing calculator.

4. Can the value of ##f(1)## be negative?

Yes, the value of ##f(1)## can be negative. It all depends on the function and the input value of 1. Some functions may have negative outputs for certain inputs, while others may not.

5. What does the value of ##f(1)## tell us about the function?

The value of ##f(1)## can tell us about the behavior of the function at the point where the input is 1. It can also give us information about the slope, rate of change, and other characteristics of the function at that specific point.