So, anyone up for a game of quantum chess?

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
In summary: That's funny, I don't know if I'd call that an endorsement. It just sounds like something someone would do to impress their friends.Haha. MENSA endorsement? Really?
sbrothy
Gold Member
Niel's Chess -- The Battle of the Quantum Age (Popular Physics)I remember an edition of Scientific American (must've been around '90) where someone made a b...... child of Go and Chess. Me and a friend of mine tried to play it several times but it always degenerated into extreme geekery. Same thing with the table top game Flat Top.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not really sure why I ended up posting this in this forum particularly. Feel free to "move" it.

Science news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
Niel's Chess -- The Battle of the Quantum Age (Popular Physics)I remember an edition of Scientific American (must've been around '90) where someone made a b...... child of Go and Chess. Me and a friend of mine tried to play it several times but it always degenerated into extreme geekery. Same thing with the table top game Flat Top.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not really sure why I ended up posting this in this forum particularly. Feel free to "move" it.
I don't know how well this would work. The Queens would diffract through the pawn screen at the beginning of the game and checkmate the King before the first move!

-Dan

Likes sbrothy and BillTre
topsquark said:
I don't know how well this would work. The Queens would diffract through the pawn screen at the beginning of the game and checkmate the King before the first move!

-Dan
That would be a handy time saver!

Likes topsquark
topsquark said:
Hornbein said:
That would be a handy time saver!
This is sort of like the tunneling efforts at Messines in WW1 or Petersburg in the Civil War (the battle of the crater). Quantum Tunneling is spookier but less climactic.

Likes topsquark
Hmph. No one wants to play my Chess variant...

snakes-ladders-n-pawns.png

• Haha
Likes sbrothy, phinds and hutchphd
Laser Chess

Likes sbrothy
Hornbein said:
Laser Chess

Haha. MENSA endorsement? Really? :P

1. What is quantum chess?

Quantum chess is a variant of traditional chess that incorporates principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to add an element of uncertainty and unpredictability to the game.

2. How is quantum chess different from regular chess?

In regular chess, each piece can only be in one place at a time and can only make one move at a time. In quantum chess, pieces can exist in multiple places at once and can make multiple moves simultaneously, making the game much more complex and strategic.

3. Is quantum chess difficult to learn?

If you are already familiar with the rules of traditional chess, then learning quantum chess may come more easily to you. However, understanding the principles of quantum mechanics and how they apply to the game can be challenging for those without a background in physics.

4. Can quantum chess be played in real life?

Yes, quantum chess can be played in real life with a physical board and pieces, although it is more commonly played online or with a computer simulation due to the complex nature of the game.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum chess?

While quantum chess may not have any direct practical applications, it can be used as a tool for teaching and understanding concepts in quantum mechanics. It can also serve as a fun and challenging game for those interested in both chess and quantum physics.