Snake found with clawed hand growing out of it.

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, some kind of genetic mutation perhaps? Snakes have a common lizard ancestor and some extant snake species have vestigial legs - boas and pythons for example. A retrovirus could be involved in this mutation. Australian news is pretty tabloidish, so reader beware.
The_Absolute
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/863766/snake-born-with-hand-shocks-scientists

Some kind of genetic mutation perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I turned on the light and saw this monster working its way along the wall using his claw.

Video would have been amazing. I would have been freaked too!

Eh, I don't believe it. Probably a hoax.

The news coming out of China lately is pretty tabloidish, so reader beware.

Last edited:
Can't mutations cause any outgrowth potentially? Like, you could find something that looked like a human head growing out of a donkey's backside, but it would just be really really really really really really really really really unlikely for mutations of DNA to be that widespread and specific to give that result. More than likely, if you zap a donkey fetus with radiation it will just develop tumors and die.

Looks like it just ate something to me.. You can see the lump.

perhaps a case of a vestigial limb mutation? Snake genomes do supposedly contain the instructions for growing a limb.

After dead snake was found, officials said

"We won't know the cause until we've conducted an autopsy"

Well, it was enough to interrogate the murderer:

she then grabbed a shoe and beat the snake to death

Its just a lizard.

That particular snake likes to eat little people for his dinner but one of them objected and started to claw his way out.

A retrovirus could be involved.
In Australia there are a lot of weird creatures which, seemingly unrelated, are marsupial. In the same country are many variant insects which have wings, unlike their otherwise similar counterparts in New Zealand.

Snakes have a common lizard ancestor. Some extant snake species have vestigial legs - boas and pythons for example.

Having a "leg" grow is not all that weird considering the ancestry of snakes.

jim mcnamara said:
Snakes have a common lizard ancestor. Some extant snake species have vestigial legs - boas and pythons for example.

Having a "leg" grow is not all that weird considering the ancestry of snakes.

I was thinking the same. It wouldn't take much of a genetic mutation for a limb to grow. It may be more surprising that it doesn't happen more often.

but if I may harp on about the retrovirus idea...
... this is a more credible mechanism for evolution than any other I've heard of.

Moonbear said:
I was thinking the same. It wouldn't take much of a genetic mutation for a limb to grow. It may be more surprising that it doesn't happen more often.
But yet something inside me just wants to scream and run.

Notice to all mutants: Beware or easily frightened normals.

well its a reputable news website.. is there any follow up? thx

What, no shadow of the supposed limb?

Obvious fake.

I think it's a bit obvious that the snake had ate something beforehand.
"THE ELDERLY WOMAN WAS THAT SCARED SHE BEAT IT TO DEATH!"
That is why this snake looks so deformed!

Any hope of referring to evolution is a complete fail. According to evolution lizards evolved into snakes, so this would be devolution. Not to mention the fact that a whole leg wouldn't form. So its obvious that it's the snakes guts coming out - perhaps it had eaten a lizard?

Give that woman a hand ... and she will glue it onto a snake. Seriously though, that is the work of devil if ever i saw it.

retrovirus's are thought to transfer dna between species

Snakes used to have limbs, but then they got less important or something and then the theory of evolutin killed them off (perhaps no natural predators). NOw that snakes are getting destroyed by humns, maybe apossible re-awakening of genetic genomes to grow limbs?

we have snakes like these here in the philippines, its called "banakon" i think, its hands is not like the one in the picture but smaller. snakes like these don't use much use their hand for anything.
some images

3817603092_c04a1de10a.jpg

http://bisayangkikay.i.ph/photo/d/244-1/Banakon.jpg

Peopleunit said:
What, no shadow of the supposed limb?

Obvious fake.

So you're claiming the limb is photoshopped or an illusion? The angle the light is shining at the wrong angle to give the limb a shadow on the ground next to the snake with the rest of its body.

Affirmation that one should not bite the hand that feeds you.

Insanity said:
perhaps a case of a vestigial limb mutation? Snake genomes do supposedly contain the instructions for growing a limb.

No need for supposedly, those genes are just suppressed. Like most of our ancient genes, which shape the fetus in all it's stages (fish,amphibian,bird,mammal). Everyone of you had a tail while growing inside the womb.

So the poor snake just has a simple malformation. Might not even be passed through reproduction. But we will never know as it is dead.

Here is an interesting analysis of the phenomenon
http://depletedcranium.com/an-example-of-why-understanding-evolution-matters/

Related to Snake found with clawed hand growing out of it.

1. What is the cause of the clawed hand growing out of the snake?

The most likely cause of this phenomenon is a genetic mutation or abnormality in the snake's development. It is not uncommon for animals to exhibit unusual physical characteristics due to genetic variations.

2. Is the clawed hand functional for the snake?

It is highly unlikely that the clawed hand is functional for the snake. Since it is a genetic abnormality, the hand is not connected to the snake's nervous system and therefore cannot be used for movement or grasping prey.

3. Could this be a new species of snake?

No, this is most likely not a new species of snake. While the clawed hand may be a unique physical characteristic, it does not necessarily warrant the classification of a new species. Further genetic analysis would be needed to determine if this is a distinct species.

4. Is this condition harmful or beneficial for the snake?

It is difficult to determine the impact of the clawed hand on the snake's overall health and survival. In some cases, genetic abnormalities can be harmful and may affect the animal's ability to survive in the wild. However, in other cases, the abnormality may have no significant impact on the animal's well-being.

5. Has this been observed in other snake species before?

Yes, there have been documented cases of other snake species exhibiting similar abnormalities, such as extra limbs or appendages. However, these occurrences are still rare and not fully understood by scientists.