Small-signal transfer function from this differential input

In summary, the conversation discusses using small signal equivalent circuits, Kirchhoff's Current Law, and BJT equations to solve a problem. The user asks for help with fixing their attempt at a solution and receives a hint to use the approximation ex ≅ 1 + x and to solve the problem using just gm. The conversation ends with a recommendation to use gm directly as it is a shorter approach.
CorHawk

Homework Statement

q1.png

2. Homework Equations [/B]
Small Signal Equivalent Circuit, Kirchhoff Current Law, and BJT equations mentioned in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

q1a_1.png

It looks like I did something wrong. Can someone help me with fixing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
CorHawk said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 81419
2. Homework Equations [/B]
Small Signal Equivalent Circuit, Kirchhoff Current Law, and BJT equations mentioned in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 81420
It looks like I did something wrong. Can someone help me with fixing this?
I would not use equivalent circuits for this. You're given all the equations you need to solve the problem without resorting to equiv. ckts.
Hint: at some point use ex ≅ 1 + x for 0 ≤ x << 1.
OR you can do it with just gm.

Last edited:
rude man said:
I would not use equivalent circuits for this. You're given all the equations you need to solve the problem without resorting to equiv. ckts.
Hint: at some point use ex ≅ 1 + x for 0 ≤ x << 1.
OR you can do it with just gm.

I don't understand how you want to get to the answer 1/2*gm by only using gm and nothing else. And I don't see how e^0=1 would be related to this.

Last edited:
CorHawk said:
I don't understand how you want to get to the answer 1/2*gm by only using gm.
I'll get you started:
gm = dI1/d(Vb1 - Ve) = -dI2/dVe
where Vb2 = 0 is assumed wlog ("without loss of generality"). Vb is base voltage, Ve is emitter voltage.
And I don't see how e^0=1 would be related to this.
That would come in handy if you choose to use I = Isexp(qVbe/kT) instead of gm directly.
I recommend using gm directly, it's shorter.

Last edited:

Related to Small-signal transfer function from this differential input

What is a small-signal transfer function?

A small-signal transfer function is a mathematical representation of how an electronic circuit or system responds to small variations or disturbances in its input signals. It describes the relationship between the input and output signals in terms of gain, phase, and frequency.

How is the small-signal transfer function different from the large-signal transfer function?

The small-signal transfer function is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit or system when the input signals are small, usually in the linear range of operation. The large-signal transfer function, on the other hand, is used to analyze the behavior when the input signals are large, and the circuit or system may operate in a nonlinear manner.

What is the importance of the small-signal transfer function in circuit analysis?

The small-signal transfer function is essential in circuit analysis as it allows us to predict the behavior of a circuit or system when small variations or disturbances are present. It also helps in designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications.

How is the small-signal transfer function calculated?

The small-signal transfer function is calculated by taking the ratio of the output signal to the input signal, both in the frequency domain. It is usually expressed in terms of complex numbers, where the magnitude represents the gain and the phase represents the phase shift between the input and output signals.

What factors can affect the small-signal transfer function of a circuit or system?

The small-signal transfer function can be affected by various factors such as component tolerances, parasitic elements, temperature variations, and noise. These factors can cause variations in the gain, phase, and frequency response of the circuit or system.