Small oscillations, strange springs

In summary, the potential energy is maximal when the masses are at their equilibrium positions, and the potential energy is minimally when the masses are displaced from their equilibrium positions.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider 2 masses linked via 3 springs in this way |----m----m----| where the | denotes fixed walls and the ---- the springs.
The length between the walls is 2L and the natural length of each spring is b=L/3.
When we move a mass from its equilibrium position, each spring generate a potential of the form [itex]V=V_0e^{c(x-b)^2}[/itex].
1)Demonstrate that the equilibrium positions are L/3 and (2/3)L.
2)Find the normal frequencies and normal modes of the system.

Homework Equations

L=T-V.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some troubles. When x=b, in other words, when the springs aren't streched, they still have a non zero potential energy stored, [itex]V_0[/itex]. I know that this is the minimal potential energy stored but still... shouldn't the masses constantly move? Hmm, I guess not.
1)So is the argument "the potential energy is minimal when the first mass is at x=b=L/3 and the second mass at [itex]x=2b=(2/3)L[/itex] so these are the equilibrium positions" valid?
2)I chose my 2 generalized coordinates as being x_1 and x_2 where x_1 is the distance the first mass streches the first spring, and x_2 the distance the second mass streches the 3rd spring.
My expression for the potential energy is then [itex]V(x_1,x_2)=V_0e^{c(x_1^2+x_2^2+x_2-x_1)}[/itex].
Usually one would approximate V(x_1,x_2) by a function, say [itex]U(x_1,x_2)[/itex] equal to [itex]\frac{k}{2}x^2[/itex]. Or in my case by a second order Taylor's expansion of a function of 2 variables. But my big problem is that [itex]V_0 \neq 0[/itex].
So even if I had only 1 spring here with 1 mass, I wouldn't know how to approximate the potential energy function.
Can someone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 3 springs. Each spring has a potential energy. The total potential energy is the sum of these 3 energies. The PE of the leftmost spring depends only on x1, of the rightmost only on x2, and the middle on x1-x2...

M Quack said:
You have 3 springs. Each spring has a potential energy. The total potential energy is the sum of these 3 energies. The PE of the leftmost spring depends only on x1, of the rightmost only on x2, and the middle on x1-x2...
Yes I know this, as you can see my potential energy is a sum of 3 terms. In fact I made an error and it should be [itex]V(x_1,x_2)=V_0[e^{cx_1^2}+e^{cx_2^2}+e^{c(x_2-x_1^2)}][/itex]. When the system is at equilibrium, [itex]x_1=x_2=0[/itex], but unlike in common springs, here [itex]V(0,0)=3V_0 \neq 0[/itex]. And I cannot just set the lower potential energy value possible to 0 because, unlike with common springs, the potential energy of each springs is directly proportional to the lowest possible value of their potential energy.

Who said that the minimum in potential energy has to be 0? The minimum for each exponential function is 1, so 3 V0 is the absolute minimum you can get.

However, I still don't agree with your expression for the potential energy. Compare your first term with the formula given...

pretty sure your potential should be

Voecx12 + Voecx22 + Voec(x2-x1)2

where x1 x2 are spring deviations relative to either m1 or m2

Last edited:
M Quack said:
Who said that the minimum in potential energy has to be 0? The minimum for each exponential function is 1, so 3 V0 is the absolute minimum you can get.

However, I still don't agree with your expression for the potential energy. Compare your first term with the formula given...
It looks like the problem was badly copied. [itex]V=V_0e^{c(x-b)^2}[/itex] seems to be the potential energy of the first spring when stretched a distance x from its equilibrium point, [itex]x_0=b[/itex].
The important thing to notice is that for each spring, if we stretch it a distance x, then [itex]V=V_0e^{cx^2}[/itex]. (only a guess though, but seems reasonable)

Liquidxlax said:
pretty sure your potential should be

Voecx12 + Voecx22 + Voec(x2-x1)2

where x1 x2 are spring deviations relative to either m1 or m2
This is exactly what I get and wrote in post #3 :)

Using a Taylor expansion for the potential, I reach [itex]V(x_1,x_2)\approx 2V_0c(x_1^2+x_2^2-x_1x_2)+V(0,0)[/itex]. Usually one takes [itex]V(0,0)=0[/itex] because since it's a constant it shouldn't modify the equation of motions. However here, as you (M Quack) pointed out, [itex]V(0,0)=3V_0[/itex]. So if I take it to be 0, it means [itex]V_0=0[/itex] and there's absolutely no motion.
If I still take [itex]V(0,0)=0[/itex] but [itex]V_0 \neq 0[/itex] (by some magic) then [itex]V(x_1,x_2)\approx 2V_0c(x_1^2+x_2^2-x_1x_2)[/itex].
In form of matrices, [itex]V= \begin{pmatrix} 2V_0c & -V_0c \\ -V_0c & 2V_0c \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]T= \begin{pmatrix} m/2 & 0 \\ 0 & m/2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
So that [itex]|V-\omega ^2 T|=0[/itex] gave me [itex]\omega _1 = \sqrt {\frac{2V_0c}{m}}[/itex] and [itex]\omega _2 = \sqrt {\frac{6V_0c}{m}}[/itex].
The normal modes: [itex]\vec \eta _1=c_1\begin{pmatrix}1\\-1\end{pmatrix}\cos (\omega _1t+\varphi _1)[/itex] and [itex]\vec \eta _2=c_2\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 1\end{pmatrix}\cos (\omega _2t+\varphi _2)[/itex].
I don't really have a lot of confidence in all this.

The mode vector - mode frequency grouping appears reversed. The mode vector col(1,1) should go with the lower mode frequency while the mode vector col(1,-1) should go with the higher mode frequency. Go back through your algebra and watch your signs very carefully.

OldEngr63 said:
The mode vector - mode frequency grouping appears reversed. The mode vector col(1,1) should go with the lower mode frequency while the mode vector col(1,-1) should go with the higher mode frequency. Go back through your algebra and watch your signs very carefully.

Thank you very much for this comment and for pointing this out. I've recheked the algebra twice now and doesn't see any mistake. Hmm...

Related to Small oscillations, strange springs

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to the repetitive, back-and-forth motion of a system around its equilibrium position. These oscillations are usually small in amplitude and occur when the restoring force in the system is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

2. How do strange springs affect small oscillations?

Strange springs, also known as non-linear springs, can affect small oscillations by changing the relationship between the restoring force and displacement from equilibrium. This can result in more complex oscillation patterns and may cause the system to exhibit chaotic behavior.

3. What factors can influence the frequency of small oscillations?

The frequency of small oscillations can be influenced by factors such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillations. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in altering the frequency.

4. How are small oscillations important in science and technology?

Small oscillations are important in many fields of science and technology, including physics, engineering, and biology. Understanding the behavior of small oscillations can help in the design and analysis of systems such as pendulums, springs, and electronic circuits.

5. What is the difference between small oscillations and large oscillations?

The main difference between small and large oscillations is their amplitude. Small oscillations have amplitudes that are significantly smaller than the length or size of the system, while large oscillations have amplitudes that are close to or exceed the size of the system. Large oscillations may also exhibit non-linear behavior, while small oscillations are usually linear.