Slowing the Mental Decline: Seeking Help and Support

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, Wolram is suffering from a mental issue, and is looking for ways to remedy it. He has friends here on the forum, and is looking for advice and support.
poor Wolram :frown: I didn't see this post until today and I observe that you haven't posted much in this thread either. Hopefully you were convinced to go out and do an activity of sorts. I have a friend who is in his 90's and he still works everyday! It keeps him active and his mind sharp compared with people who are younger than him, so don't give up!

Physics news on Phys.org
We love you Woolie Ram! XOXO

So it's known that wolram's age is greater than 50? I always imagined from his posts that he's 20.

Does this have any relation to your post in Feb? Do you feel better or worse now than you did then?

Wolram, I've lurked on this site a very long time and you've always been a stand out person! Spend lots of time outside, go and try the most beautiful things you can find and paint or photograph them. I always loved your photography. If nothing else get Skype and have some voice conversions with the people here, your a big part of the community after all. :)

Tsu said:
We love you Woolie Ram! XOXO

Okay, there *has* to be a story behind Woolie's nickname. You going to tell us, Woolie, or are we going to have to start tickling Tsu until she gives it up? Or should we be calling you RAM from now on?

It mostly has to do with his avatar. That's all I'll say. o:)

Hi Woolie,

Not to worry my friend, as it turns out the brain is analogous to how other parts of our body get rusty. Just as certain muscles get weak when we don't use them as much; the neural function goes through a similar process. The good news is, when we exercise our brain by challenging it, we can regain mental acuity. :smile:

The best mental activities to challenge our brain are things we are not already familiar with. For example if you played the violin all your life and you now go and play the violin today, it is less a challenge to say, learning to paint landscapes.

The amazing thing about our brain, it is very plastic and can adapt to changes.
So next time you help someone on PF with a question, think of it as lifting weights. Your sharpening your neurons.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I know where his user-name came from and it predated the avatar...by decades. MIH is pulling your leg.

turbo-1 said:
I know where his user-name came from and it predated the avatar...by decades. MIH is pulling your leg.

One wonders if perhaps there's a Marlow in Woolie's ancient history...

DaveC426913 said:
One wonders if perhaps there's a Marlow in Woolie's ancient history...

That's it! Woolie doesn't really exist. He was invented by Raymond Chandler.

So who's writing him now? :confused:

Some Nibor perhaps?

Borek said:
Some Nibor perhaps?
Possibly... :rolleyes:
They tend to sneak in when you least expect them.

What the heck is a Nibor? Can you tell I'm too lazy to google at this late hour? :-p

That's because you are thinking CW.

Anyone heard from Wolram? He started this thread then dropped out. Hasn't responded to PM either.

DaveC426913 said:
Anyone heard from Wolram? He started this thread then dropped out. Hasn't responded to PM either.

His last visit was 4/22/09 4:03 PM

He is on line right now. Look!~

Gordon Bennetts this thread still going, i feel choked at reading your replies and love you all lots, i never realized i had so many friends, thank you all soooo much.

wolram said:
Gordon Bennetts this thread still going, i feel choked at reading your replies and love you all lots, i never realized i had so many friends, thank you all soooo much.

We are PF family :smile:

Good to hear from you again, Woolie. Hang in there and get this situation sorted out. You can always come here for comic relief.

turbo-1 said:
Good to hear from you again, Woolie. Hang in there and get this situation sorted out. You can always come here for comic relief.

Yes you guys kill me LOL

Math Is Hard said:

no pics of furry males, thanks.

wolram said:
You are nice guys but i see you do not understand :smile: how can big brains understand no brains ,that would be like t rex knowing us, i just hope i can hold on to some modicum of intelligence

You could go to adult high school programs and refresh those basic math and physics skills (if you need to). It might even alleviate your social anxiety after you get used to being there.

The more you feed that thing, the more it will consume you.

Raizy said:
You could go to adult high school programs and refresh those basic math and physics skills (if you need to). It might even alleviate your social anxiety after you get used to being there.
Yeeeesssss, that's what will increase your sociability - math and physics skills.

It works so well for the rest of us. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Yeeeesssss, that's what will increase your sociability - math and physics skills.

It works so well for the rest of us. :wink:

Heh, true. I get what you're saying but it's just one suggestion.

Here's the thing, he could do that, or he could go to some sports team...or some bar.
I just assumed his case was so severe he wouldn't really gain anything from a sports team, other than possibly get bullied (no offense wolram, I'm in the same spectrum as you; I think my existence is meaningless).

wolram said:
Dave i have no life as i am scared to even go out my door :smile:

Sounds pretty severe.

At least in a classroom setting the social stimuli would be so faint as not to overload him. Just being around with people in the public is a huge difference than being locked up in your room all day. Maybe he'll meet someone his age and become study buddies...

wolram said:
I have a mental issue that is causing a slow decline in mental activity, does anyone know a way to slow this decline i sure hate not knowing, love wolram

Umm, it's not schizophrenia is it? I was assuming it was social anxiety or agoraphobia.
Maybe your short-term memory has dwindled - what do you do for a living, wolram? Maybe it's worth trying this?

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:
I have a mental issue that is causing a slow decline in mental activity, does anyone know a way to slow this decline i sure hate not knowing, love wolram

You have many friends, Wolram, I count myself among them although I am a new one. I couldn't help feeling touched by your posts. So that our suggestions can be more specific, tell us -- what is your diagnosis? Love & concern, Fortsummit

I live with schizoaffective disorder, which often gets better with time. Personally "if I were you" (and I am not a doctor), I would visit a neurologist listed with my insurance plan or likewise recommended by my current doctors.

Beforehand, check where the neurologists went to medical school, how they stand with the state medical board, and if they are affiliated with a teaching hospital (university medical center.) Then make your best choice, at your own risk (but much better than doing nothing).

Did you here about a sheep that escaped from an Australian sheep farm? They found it a year later, with something like 70 pounds of extra wool to shear. It must have looked like the classmates in my 1977 yearbook!