Slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field

In summary, it is possible for a beam of slow neutrons to be deflected by a strong magnetic field due to their magnetic moment, similar to the Stern-Gerlach experiment. However, the magnetic moment of neutrons is much smaller than that of atoms. To learn more about this phenomenon, one can read Chapter 1.1 of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" or any quantum mechanics book with an explanation in the appendix.
dtsormpa
Is it possible for a beam of slow neutrons, to be deflected by a strong magnetic field? I have found something for a beta asymmetry in Wu experiments, but haven't understood much. Is it a particle physics subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
dtsormpa said:
Is it possible for a beam of slow neutrons, to be deflected by a strong magnetic field?

I believe so, because they possesses a magnetic moment they will be deflected in a way similar to that of the Stern-Gerlach experiment... of course, the magentic moment of the neutron is much smaller than that of an atom (due to electrons).

olgranpappy said:
I believe so, because they possesses a magnetic moment they will be deflected in a way similar to that of the Stern-Gerlach experiment... of course, the magentic moment of the neutron is much smaller than that of an atom (due to electrons).

Is there anything more particular that I can read, that fully describes that phenomenon?

Chapter 1.1 of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" describes the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Chap 1.1 is actually the introduction, but he chose to present the Stern-Gerlach experiment there because it is a neat experiment... I think the experiment is explained in detail in most any quantum mechanics book. I'd just look in the appendix.

Related to Slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field

1. What is a slow neutron beam?

A slow neutron beam is a stream of neutrons that have been decelerated to a low velocity, typically less than 100 meters per second. This is achieved by passing the neutrons through a material that slows them down, such as water or a moderator.

2. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

3. How does a magnetic field deflect slow neutron beams?

When a slow neutron beam passes through a magnetic field, the neutrons experience a force due to their electric charge. This force causes the neutrons to change direction, or deflect, as they travel through the magnetic field.

4. What is the purpose of studying slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field?

Studying the deflection of slow neutron beams by a magnetic field can provide valuable information about the magnetic properties of materials. This can be useful in various fields such as material science, nuclear engineering, and particle physics.

5. How is slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field measured?

The deflection of a slow neutron beam by a magnetic field can be measured using various detectors, such as scintillation detectors or nuclear emulsion plates. These detectors can track the path of the deflected neutrons and provide data for analysis.