Slope of y=-7 as x increases from 8 to infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear function passing through a point (8,3) and with a decrease of 7 units every time x increases by 1 unit. The formula for a line is mentioned, with the point-slope formula being recommended as a useful tool to find the slope and known points on the line. The value of m is determined to be -7 and the conversation concludes with appreciation for the helpfulness of the site.
rootbarb
The function that passes through (8,3) and every time x increases by 1 unit, the fuction decreases by 7 units

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a linear function so it has the form $y=mx+b$. Can you find $m$ and $b$?

Is it stating that b is -7? I know y=mx+b but this question sounds so simple has me confused.

$m$ = $-7$. Do you see why $m=-7$? Can you solve it now?

Another formula for a line you may find useful here is the point-slope formula:

\(\displaystyle y=m\left(x-x_1\right)+y_1\)

where $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$ is a known point on the line and $m$ is the slope. :)

Thanks! Now I understand, def. noting both of your posts in my notepad :) This site is awesome!

Related to Slope of y=-7 as x increases from 8 to infinity

What is the slope of y=-7?

The slope of y=-7 is a constant value of -7. This means that for every increase of 1 in the x-coordinate, the y-coordinate will decrease by 7.

What does it mean for the slope to be a negative value?

A negative slope indicates a downward trend or decrease in the dependent variable (y) as the independent variable (x) increases. In this case, y decreases by 7 for every increase of 1 in x.

What does it mean for x to increase from 8 to infinity?

When x increases from 8 to infinity, it means that the x-coordinate is continuously getting larger and larger without any limit. This also means that the slope of y=-7 will remain constant at -7.

How do you graph y=-7 as x increases from 8 to infinity?

To graph y=-7 as x increases from 8 to infinity, plot a point at (8,-7) on the coordinate plane and draw a straight line that extends infinitely in the negative y-direction. This line will have a slope of -7 and will never touch the y-axis.

What is the significance of the slope in this equation?

The slope of y=-7 is significant because it represents the rate of change or the steepness of the line. In this case, the slope of -7 means that for every increase of 1 in x, y decreases by 7. It also helps us understand the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in the equation.