Sliding Ladder Velocity Problem

In summary: Can you show me your calculations?In summary, the conversation is about a calculus problem involving a ladder leaning against a wall and the rate at which the area of the triangle formed by the ladder, wall, and ground is changing. The attempted solution involves finding the rate of change of the area with respect to the length of the ladder's base, but the answer is disputed. The conversation concludes with a request for the calculations to be shown.
PEZenfuego
1. Homework Statement [/b]
This is a pretty simple calculus problem, but I can't figure out why my method fails.

A ladder 20 feet long is leaning against the wall of a house. The base of the ladder is pulled away from the wall at a rate of 4 ft/s. Consider the triangle formed by the side of the house, the ladder, and the ground. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is changed when the base of the ladder is 9 feet from the wall.
picture.jpg

a=?
b=9 ft
c=20 ft
A=?
da/dt=?
db/dt=4 ft/s
dA/dt=?

Homework Equations

c=a^2+b^2
A=(1/2)ab

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am less interested in the actual solution and more interested in why my attempt at the solution did not work.

I began by realizing that the rate of change of c would be 0, since the ladder will not become longer or shorter. Then I did this:
c^2=a^2 + b^2
c^2-b^2=a^2
a=(c^2-b^2)^1/2

A=(1/2)ba
A=(1/2)b(c^2-b^2)^1/2
I am deriving with respect to b
dA/db=(1/2)((db/db)(c^2-b^2)^1/2+(b(1/2(c^2-b^2)^-1/2)(2c(dc/db)-2b(db/db)))))
and then simplify where (dc/db=0) and where (db/db=1)
dA/db=(1/2)((c^2-b^2)^1/2+(1/2(b(c^2-b^2)^-1/2)(-2b)))

And

(dA/db)x(db/dt)=dA/dt so all that I have to do is multiply the answer I just found by the rate at db/dt which I already know. The answer I find is 26.65 which I have been told is wrong. Where did I go wrong and how do I go about solving this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PEZenfuego said:

Homework Statement

This is a pretty simple calculus problem, but I can't figure out why my method fails.

A ladder 20 feet long is leaning against the wall of a house. The base of the ladder is pulled away from the wall at a rate of 4 ft/s. Consider the triangle formed by the side of the house, the ladder, and the ground. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is changed when the base of the ladder is 9 feet from the wall.

a=?
b=9 ft
c=20 ft
A=?
da/dt=?
db/dt=4 ft/s
dA/dt=?

Homework Equations

c=a^2+b^2
A=(1/2)ab

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am less interested in the actual solution and more interested in why my attempt at the solution did not work.

I began by realizing that the rate of change of c would be 0, since the ladder will not become longer or shorter. Then I did this:
c^2=a^2 + b^2
c^2-b^2=a^2
a=(c^2-b^2)^1/2

A=(1/2)ba
A=(1/2)b(c^2-b^2)^1/2
I am deriving with respect to b
dA/db=(1/2)((db/db)(c^2-b^2)^1/2+(b(1/2(c^2-b^2)^-1/2)(2c(dc/db)-2b(db/db)))))
and then simplify where (dc/db=0) and where (db/db=1)
dA/db=(1/2)((c^2-b^2)^1/2+(1/2(b(c^2-b^2)^-1/2)(-2b)))

And

(dA/db)x(db/dt)=dA/dt so all that I have to do is multiply the answer I just found by the rate at db/dt which I already know. The answer I find is 26.65 which I have been told is wrong. Where did I go wrong and how do I go about solving this problem?

I get the same answer you do, so I don't see what you are doing wrong.

Related to Sliding Ladder Velocity Problem

1. What is the sliding ladder velocity problem?

The sliding ladder velocity problem is a physics problem that involves a ladder sliding down a wall at a certain angle. The goal is to determine the velocity of the ladder at a specific point in time.

2. How do you solve the sliding ladder velocity problem?

To solve the sliding ladder velocity problem, you need to use principles from physics such as Newton's laws of motion and trigonometry. You also need to know the initial conditions of the ladder, such as its length, mass, and angle of inclination.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the sliding ladder?

The velocity of the sliding ladder is affected by the angle of inclination, the mass of the ladder, and the force of friction between the ladder and the wall. The initial velocity and height of the ladder also play a role in determining the final velocity.

4. Can the sliding ladder velocity problem be solved with different units of measurement?

Yes, the sliding ladder velocity problem can be solved with different units of measurement as long as the units are consistent. For example, the length of the ladder can be in meters, and the mass can be in kilograms. However, it is recommended to use standard units such as meters and kilograms for easier calculations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the sliding ladder velocity problem?

Yes, the sliding ladder velocity problem has real-world applications in fields such as construction, engineering, and physics. It can be used to calculate the velocity of objects sliding down a ramp or inclined plane, as well as the speed of a rollercoaster on a curved track. It also helps in understanding the forces acting on an object in motion.