Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian questions

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dobsonian
In summary: I purchased the Meade Deep Sky Imager II Pro with my telescope. It's relatively easy to use, but the software is extremely buggy on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with Windows 7. I've never used anything else for astro imaging, so I can't comment on how it compares to other devices....the software is extremely buggy on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with Windows 7.
MartinJH
Sorry to barge in on a thread, and I am sorry if this is the wrong place, but is this a recommended scope http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150 for a amatuer and what could you expect to see with almost/ none light poplution.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I'd go for a slightly larger mirror for beginners so that they don't feel the need to upgrade after they start looking for the dimmer Messier objects in the suburbs of a bright city.

Messier only had a 4 inch scope, but he had no light pollution whatsoever. If you got light pollution, a bigger mirror is a good investment.

K that's cool no problem. Yes basically where I live, South Wales,uk, I'm cushioned in every direction by mountains. If you take a short car drive to the top you virtually have no man made light at all. It's an incredible view even with just using your eyes.
Thanks for the info as well :).

My first real telescope was an 8-inch Dobsonian mounted scope like the one in the picture. Nothing real fancy on it, just a large tube with a couple of decent eyepieces with that simple mount. I actually recommend that mount for starting out.

I plan on getting the above scope (http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150) within the next week/month
I was wondering if anyone here has any nice shots taken with the above telescope or a similar specced
Have you any recommendations of another telescope close to the original chosen scopes price +/- ££.

MartinJH said:
I plan on getting the above scope (http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150) within the next week/month
I was wondering if anyone here has any nice shots taken with the above telescope or a similar specced
Have you any recommendations of another telescope close to the original chosen scopes price +/- ££.
It is highly unlikely that you will get any decent images through a Dobsonian 'scope as small as that. You can try, but you'll be disappointed, I fear. To get decent images that are not smeared/rotated, you should look for a telescope with a German equatorial drive, or equivalent. An undriven alt-az 'scope isn't going to make you happy, unless you just want to have nice visuals. A 6" Newt can get you a lot of satisfaction, visually, though.

Thank you turbo-1. I wanted to quickly ask before I went ahead and purchased.
To save myself embarrassment I'm going to ask rather than say what id like to see, so what is a amatuer like myself expecting to see with the telescopes you have mentioned.
Further more I don't plan on attaching cameras to the telescope if this helps with price, what is the technology like these days can you purchase a reasonable scope that can be connected to your pc etc via a lead; that world be fantastic and a bonus although I'm not getting carried away.

MartinJH said:
Thank you turbo-1. I wanted to quickly ask before I went ahead and purchased.
To save myself embarrassment I'm going to ask rather than say what id like to see, so what is a amatuer like myself expecting to see with the telescopes you have mentioned.
Further more I don't plan on attaching cameras to the telescope if this helps with price, what is the technology like these days can you purchase a reasonable scope that can be connected to your pc etc via a lead; that world be fantastic and a bonus although I'm not getting carried away.
Don't worry about getting digital images to a PC. Learn how to observe and "see" (translate what light comes to your eye and manage that). After that, you should spend a lot of time at star-parties to see if you really want a larger 'scope. That would have been my first recommendation to you as a newbie, but it seems like you are jumping in anyway.

It was an idea, perhaps I was being a little optimistic or just thinking that getting the images to PC was the norm. Either way i'll have a scope around (pun intended) and see what I can find :).
thanks for your help :).

Last edited:

MartinJH said:
It was an idea, perhaps I was being a little optimistic or just thinking that getting the images to PC was the norm. Either way i'll have a scope around (pun intended) and see what I can find :).
thanks for your help :).

I purchased the Meade Deep Sky Imager II Pro with my telescope. It's relatively easy to use, but the software is extremely buggy on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with Windows 7. I've never used anything else for astro imaging, so I can't comment on how it compares to other devices.

Drakkith said:
...the software is extremely buggy on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with Windows 7.
Can you launch the s/w in "compatibility" mode? (Right click icon)

DaveC426913 said:
Can you launch the s/w in "compatibility" mode? (Right click icon)

I'm not sure if I did or not. I'll try next time.

Related to Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian questions

1. What is the aperture size of the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian?

The Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian has an aperture size of 150mm or 6 inches. This refers to the diameter of the objective lens or mirror, which determines how much light the telescope can gather.

2. Is the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian suitable for astrophotography?

No, the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian is not designed for astrophotography. It is a Newtonian reflector telescope, which is better suited for visual observation of celestial objects rather than capturing images.

3. What is the focal length of the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian?

The focal length of the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian is 1200mm. This is the distance between the objective lens/mirror and the focal plane, where the image is formed.

4. Can the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian can be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. However, it is primarily designed for observing celestial objects and may not provide the best image quality for terrestrial viewing.

5. How does the Dobsonian mount of the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P compare to other types of mounts?

The Dobsonian mount of the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P is a type of altazimuth mount, which is simpler and more affordable compared to equatorial mounts. Altazimuth mounts are easier to use for visual observation, but they do not track the movement of celestial objects as accurately as equatorial mounts.