Sketching Graphs using Eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction of the principal axes for a conic with the equation 5x2+4xy+5y2=9 and the confusion surrounding the use of x' and y' in the calculations. The conversation also touches on the concept of diagonalization and determining whether a matrix is diagonalizable or not. Ultimately, it is determined that the matrix in the example given is not diagonalizable due to the eigenspace having a dimension of 1.
Offlinedoctor

Homework Statement

For the conic, 5x2+4xy+5y2=9, find the direction of the principal axes, sketch the curve.

I found the eigenvalues as
3,7 but have no idea whether the 'new' equation is
3(x')2+7(y')2
or
7(x')2+3(y')2
is there a way to determine which 'way' it goes?

I took a guess and just continued using the first formula:
I found the eigenvectors by substituting the eigenvalues and got:

λ=3, V1 = (-1,1)
λ=7, V2 = (1,1)

I then thought the principal axes would therefore be:
1/√2 (-1,1) and 1/√2 (1,1)
yet the answer seems to indicate the principal axes as, (1,-1) and (1,1), why is that? I thought you had to normalise the vectors to find the principal axes..

Physics news on Phys.org
Offlinedoctor said:
no idea whether the 'new' equation is
3(x')2+7(y')2
or
7(x')2+3(y')2
x' and y' are just names. They don't relate in any particular way to x and y respectively. Might as well be u and v. So the two versions you offer are really the same.
yet the answer seems to indicate the principal axes as, (1,-1) and (1,1), why is that?
They're just directions. I don't see any requirement for them to be normalised.

Offlinedoctor said:

Homework Statement

For the conic, 5x2+4xy+5y2=9, find the direction of the principal axes, sketch the curve.

I found the eigenvalues as
3,7 but have no idea whether the 'new' equation is
3(x')2+7(y')2
or
7(x')2+3(y')2

I took a guess and just continued using the first formula:
I found the eigenvectors by substituting the eigenvalues and got:

λ=3, V1 = (-1,1)
λ=7, V2 = (1,1)

yet the answer seems to indicate the principal axes as, (1,-1) and (1,1), why is that? I thought you had to normalise the vectors to find the principal axes..
"Axes" are lines not vectors- they do not have a specific length nor can they be written as vectors. The axes are neither "[itex](1/\sqrt{2})(-1, 1)[/itex]" and [itex](1/\sqrt{2})(1, 1)[/itex] nor "(-1, 1) and (1, 1)". The axes are lines in the directions of those vectors: y= -x in the direction of (-1, 1) and y= x in the direction of (1, 1).

Okay, that seems to make more sense. So does order really not matter after we've found the eigenvalues?

Also, I asked my lecturer this, but she couldn't properly explain the concept of diagonlisation using nullity.
Example.
|2 1 0|
|0 2 0|
|0 0 -3|

I'm trying to determine whether that is diagonizable or not, but have trouble understanding how to do it using the rank, nullity theorem.

You can't "using the rank, nullity theorem". You have to actually find the eigenvalues and then try to find the eigenvectors. Since the matrix here is diagonal, its eigenvalues are just 2 and -3, the numbers on the diagonal. There will be a one dimensional subspace of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 3 but we do not know yet if the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue 2 has dimension one or two. If it has dimension two, then there are two independent vectors in it and, adding an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 3 gives a basis for R3 and the matrix, written in that basis, is diagonal. If it has dimension 1, the matrix cannot be diagonalized.
If [itex]\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/itex] is an eigenvalue corresponding to eigenvalue 2, then we must have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}= 2\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2x+ 2y \\ 2y \\ -3z \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2x \\ 2y \\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

which is equivalent to the three equations 2x+ 2y= 2x, 2y= 2y, and -3z= 2z. The first equation says y= 0 and the third equation says z= 0. x is undetermined so eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 2 are all multiples of [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. The eigenspace has dimension 1 so the matrix is NOT diagonalizable.

Related to Sketching Graphs using Eigenvalues

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in sketching graphs?

Eigenvalues are the values that represent the scaling factor of a linear transformation. In the context of graphing, they are important because they provide information about the shape and orientation of the graph. They also help in understanding the behavior of a system or function.

2. How do eigenvalues help in determining the stability of a system?

Eigenvalues can be used to determine the stability of a system by analyzing the sign and magnitude of the values. If all the eigenvalues are negative, the system is stable. If any of the eigenvalues are positive, the system is unstable. If there are both positive and negative eigenvalues, the stability of the system depends on their relative magnitudes.

3. Can eigenvalues be used to find critical points on a graph?

Yes, eigenvalues can be used to find critical points on a graph. The critical points are the points where the eigenvalues are equal to zero. These points can be important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a function or system.

4. How can eigenvalues be used to determine the direction of flow in a vector field?

Eigenvalues can be used to determine the direction of flow in a vector field by looking at the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue. The direction of flow will be along the direction of the eigenvector, and the magnitude of the flow will be proportional to the eigenvalue.

5. Are there any limitations to using eigenvalues in sketching graphs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using eigenvalues in sketching graphs. Eigenvalues only provide information about the linear transformation of a function or system, and may not fully capture the behavior of non-linear systems. Additionally, they may not be applicable in situations where the eigenvalues are complex numbers.