Sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both

In summary, the two power series given both converge in the region of the complex plane where the radius of convergence R is less than 1. Further calculations are needed to find the exact values of R for each series.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both converge

1) sigma from n=0 to infinity [(z-1)^n]/[n^2]

2) sigma from n=0 to infinity [((n!)^2)((z+4i)^n)]/[2n]!

The Attempt at a Solution

R=lim as n tends to infinity |(a(subscript n))/(a(subscript n+1))|

1) R=lim n tends to infinity [(z-1)^n][[n+1]^2]/[n^2][[z-1]^(n+1)]
=((n+1)^2)/(n^2)(z-1)
2) R=lim as n tends to infinity [((n!)^2)((z+4i)^n)/(2n)!][(2(n+1))!/(((n+1)!)^2)((z+4i)^(n+1))

I don't know how to proceed from here and I think I may have made a mistake somewhere

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^2}{n^2}= \frac{n^2+ 2n+ 1}{n^2}= 1+ \frac{2}{n}+ \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
[itex]\frac{(n!)^2}{((n+1)!)^2}\frac{((2n)!)^2}{((2n+1)!)^2}[/itex][itex]= \left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)^2[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{1}{2n+1}\right)^2[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both

1. What is the complex plane?

The complex plane, also known as the Argand plane, is a geometric representation of the complex numbers. It is a two-dimensional coordinate system where the real numbers are plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are plotted on the vertical axis.

2. What are power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0an(x-c)n, where an are coefficients and c is a constant. It is a way to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms.

3. How do you sketch a power series on the complex plane?

To sketch a power series on the complex plane, you need to plot the points (an, c) for each term in the series. Then, you can connect these points to create a curve that represents the function.

4. What does it mean for two power series to converge in the same region on the complex plane?

When two power series converge in the same region on the complex plane, it means that they have the same radius of convergence and will converge to the same values for all points within that region. This means that the two power series have similar behavior within that region.

5. Can a power series have different regions of convergence on the complex plane?

Yes, a power series can have different regions of convergence on the complex plane. This means that the series may converge for certain values of x within one region, but diverge for those same values in another region. It is important to determine the region of convergence when working with power series to ensure their validity.