Skater rolling down an incline

In summary, a skateboarder and skateboard with a combined mass of 70 kg require a force equal to the y component of their weight, or sin 15 * 70 kg * 9.81 m/s^2, to prevent them from rolling down a 15 degree incline. The normal force does not play a role in preventing rolling, but rather the force that must be overcome to get the mass rolling is equal to sin 15 * 70 kg * 9.81 m/s^2. The answer provided in the problem is incorrect and the wording of the problem may be confusing.
cwong24

Homework Statement

A skateboarder + skateboard has a combined mass of 70 kg.
How much force is required to prevent them from rolling down a 15 degree incline?

Homework Equations

Weight = 70kg * 9.81m/s^2
Normal = cos 15 * W
Friction = sin 15 * W

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for friction but my instructor says that I should solve for the Normal force because that is the largest force that must be overcome to get the mass rolling.
I do not understand why exactly since the Normal force isn't a force acting in same direction as the rolling direction.
My instructor said that this isn't just a mass sliding down but that the mass is on wheels so once the Normal force is overcome, the skater will start rolling down.
Am I just mixing up/missing some basic concept?

Attachments

• KIN326K_Exam1Problem.jpg
    KIN326K_Exam1Problem.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
cwong24 said:
Weight = 70kg * 9.81m/s^2
I understand this.
Normal = cos 15 * W
And this.
Friction = sin 15 * W
But not this. That's not how you find friction, but who says there's friction in this problem anyway? Perhaps you just mislabeled this?

What force must you counter to stop the rolling? (What force causes them to roll in the first place?)

No, you don't need the normal force.

OK if there is no friction, I don't know if there is or not since the problem did not say there is or not.
The portion of the Weight force directed down the incline would be sin 15* W.
Since the skater isn't moving, then the force that must be overcome to get this mass rolling should be equal to sin 15*W.
Is that how a mass on wheels is suppose to work?
The normal force doesn't in any way keep the skater from rolling down?

cwong24 said:
OK if there is no friction, I don't know if there is or not since the problem did not say there is or not.
Assume there isn't any.
The portion of the Weight force directed down the incline would be sin 15* W.
Since the skater isn't moving, then the force that must be overcome to get this mass rolling should be equal to sin 15*W.
Good. (That's the force that must be exerted to prevent rolling. You want to balance out the force of gravity acting down the incline so that the net force is zero.)
Is that how a mass on wheels is suppose to work?
Yes.
The normal force doesn't in any way keep the skater from rolling down?
Correct.

The problem is wrong on account of your FBD. Without drawing in the normal/restoring force the diagram is technically wrong, as it doesn't show all of the forces. I believe you got the problem wrong because the answer they wanted was N + F = mg, yielding an answer of b ~ mg

In short, it was supposed to be a conceptual question seeing if you understand the concept of static equilibrium; that is, all forces must cancel for the object to remain at rest. Since the only known force acting is mg, the opposing force must be equal in magnitude to mg, and opposite in direction (Newton III)

Feel free to tell the teacher that the problem would be better write if it made reference to "the sum of forces required to keep the object at rest"

And lastly: The answer isn't E. Ever.

FireStorm000 said:
I believe you got the problem wrong because the answer they wanted was N + F = mg, yielding an answer of b ~ mg
Interesting. Given the wording of the problem, I would have assumed that they meant what additional applied force must be used to prevent rolling. None of the answers match that choice. It's a strangely worded problem indeed if they wanted an answer of mg! (You don't need a diagram to get that answer!)

I can get answer B if I only calculate the y component of the Weight force. But that leaves the x component of the Weight force unaccounted for.

Can the x component just not contribute to keeping the mass on the incline?

(I drew a FBD as I understand you are saying)

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 413
Not quite, now F is missing from the diagram.

You are however right that the only way to get the "right" answer is wrong. This problem is so convoluted I'm not sure anyone can help you. 'B' is the magnitude of N. Which leaves us wondering what on Earth happened to F. The only thing I can think of is that this problem is flat out wrong, because that question is not asking for the magnitude of the normal force.

Related to Skater rolling down an incline

1. What is the physics behind a skater rolling down an incline?

The physics behind a skater rolling down an incline is primarily related to the forces acting on the skater. As the skater moves down the incline, the force of gravity pulls them towards the ground. This force is counteracted by the normal force, which prevents the skater from falling through the incline. Additionally, the skater's own momentum and frictional forces also play a role in determining their speed and direction of motion.

2. How does the incline affect the skater's speed?

The incline plays a major role in determining the skater's speed. As the skater moves down the incline, gravity pulls them towards the ground, increasing their speed. The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the skater will accelerate. However, frictional forces can also act to slow down the skater's speed.

3. What is the relationship between the incline angle and the skater's acceleration?

The relationship between the incline angle and the skater's acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as the incline angle increases, the skater's acceleration will also increase. This is because the force of gravity acting on the skater becomes greater as the incline angle becomes steeper, resulting in a greater acceleration.

4. How does the skater's mass affect their motion down the incline?

The skater's mass has a direct influence on their motion down the incline. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it. This means that a skater with a larger mass will require more force, such as a steeper incline or a stronger push, to achieve the same speed as a skater with a smaller mass.

5. Why does the skater eventually come to a stop at the bottom of the incline?

The skater eventually comes to a stop at the bottom of the incline due to the presence of frictional forces. These forces act in the opposite direction of the skater's motion, gradually slowing them down until they come to a stop. Additionally, if the incline is not perfectly smooth, the skater may also encounter bumps or obstacles that contribute to their eventual stop.