Size estimation of CCD and ideal width of pointspread function

In summary, the conversation discusses a sky imaging system with a 100m wide field of view at 1km distance, and imaging a passenger airliner at 2km altitude as 10 pixels. The question asks to estimate the size of the silicon CCD and the ideal width of the pointspread function. The process involves determining the angular size of the FOV and the plane, and using that information to calculate the pixel and PSF size.
moonspell
Hi I have a problem to solve and I'm stack, so I would really appreciate your help if anyone can tell me how to answer the following question:

"Consider a sky imaging system that has a 100m wide FoV measured at 1km from the camera; and that images a passenger airliner at a height of 2km as 10 pixels long. Estimate the size, in pixels, of the silicon CCD; and the ideal width, in degrees of the pointspread function due to the optical part of the system"

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that the first step would be to figure out the field of view of the camera. If you sweep out an arc-length of 100 m at a radius of 1 km, what angle have you swept out?

If you use a reasonable estimate for the length of a passenger jet, then you can figure out what angle it subtends when at an altitude of 2 km. So you know the ratio of its angular size to the angular size of the FOV, which means you know the ratio of the width of 10 pixels to the width of the whole CCD.

Answering the above question tells you the angular size of one pixel (on the sky). You know you want your PSF to be reasonably well-sampled -- larger than a pixel size, but not too large. That gives you a good sense of what you'd want the angular size of your PSF to be.

Related to Size estimation of CCD and ideal width of pointspread function

1. What is CCD and what does it stand for?

CCD stands for charge-coupled device and it is a type of image sensor used in digital cameras, telescopes, and other imaging devices. It converts light into electrical signals which can be processed to create an image.

2. How is the size of a CCD determined?

The size of a CCD is determined by the number of pixels it contains, which is typically expressed as width x height. For example, a CCD with dimensions of 2048 x 2048 has 4,194,304 pixels.

3. What is the ideal width of a pointspread function?

The ideal width of a pointspread function (PSF) is subjective and can vary depending on the specific application. Generally, a smaller PSF width is desirable as it indicates a sharper and more detailed image.

4. How is the size estimation of CCD and the ideal width of PSF related?

The size of a CCD can affect the ideal width of the PSF as a larger CCD can accommodate more pixels and therefore capture more detailed images with a smaller PSF. However, other factors such as the quality of the optics and the sensitivity of the sensor also play a role in determining the ideal PSF width.

5. What factors can affect the size estimation of a CCD and the ideal width of PSF?

The size estimation of a CCD and the ideal width of PSF can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the optics, the sensitivity of the sensor, the type of imaging device, and the specific application. Other external factors such as lighting conditions and atmospheric conditions can also impact these measurements.