Singularities in Conservative Vector Fields: Understanding the Integral Around C

In summary: That's the only way the integral can "know" about the singularity.In summary, a conservative vector field on a plane has a line integral of zero around a closed curve if there are no singularities within the enclosed area. However, if there are one or more singularities within the enclosed area, the line integral will not be zero. This is because a singularity corresponds to a point charge and if the integral is not zero, the force is not conservative. Additionally, whether a field is conservative or not depends on the area upon which it is defined. In one example given by a professor, a conservative vector field was defined on \mathbb{R}^2 and a closed curve C was considered, enclosing the origin (
broegger
Suppose we have a conservative vector field on a plane. Suppose also that we have a closed curve C on that plane. Then we have:

[tex] \int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r} = 0 [/tex]

The line integral around C is zero because F is conservative. Here is what I don't understand:

If you have one or more singularities (points at which F is undefined) within the area bound by C then the line integral around C is no longer zero! How can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say the integral is no longer zero? Certainly it is if the singluarity corresponds to a point charge. If it's not zero then the force is not a conservative force!

Maybe I'm getting this wrong...

My book states that whether a field is conservative or not depends on the area upon which it is defined.

A at a lecture the proffessor gave this example:

We have a conservative vector field defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]. We consider a closed curve C (say, a circle), which encloses the origin (0,0). Because the vector field is conservative we have:

[tex]\int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r} = 0[/tex]

because the field is conservative.

Now we remove the point (0,0) so that the vector field is now defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}^2 \backslash (0,0)[/tex]. Now he was able to show (I can' remember how) that the line integral around C is no longer zero, but it measures the number of times that C is traversed during the integration. If C is a circle and traversed only once then:

[tex]\int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r} = 2\pi r[/tex]

I don't understand this at all!

broegger said:
Maybe I'm getting this wrong...

My book states that whether a field is conservative or not depends on the area upon which it is defined.

A at a lecture the proffessor gave this example:

We have a conservative vector field defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]. We consider a closed curve C (say, a circle), which encloses the origin (0,0). Because the vector field is conservative we have:

[tex]\int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r} = 0[/tex]

because the field is conservative.

Now we remove the point (0,0) so that the vector field is now defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}^2 \backslash (0,0)[/tex]. Now he was able to show (I can' remember how) that the line integral around C is no longer zero, but it measures the number of times that C is traversed during the integration. If C is a circle and traversed only once then:

[tex]\int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r} = 2\pi r[/tex]

I don't understand this at all!
You surely left out a step.

Your professor removed {0} from the domain, and then also changed to a different vector field. Otherwise the integral wouldn't change, since it depends only on the value of the field along the path, which doesn't include the origin.

What he presumably did is use a function which is conservative everywhere except at the origin, but which cannot be extended to a conservative field which includes the origin. For example, let

[tex]F(x,y) = (\frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}, \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2})[/tex]

It's undefined at {0}. Everywhere except {0} its curl is zero (assuming I calculated it right) so an integral around any path which does not enclose {0} will be zero. Integrating along a path which encloses the origin, however, also encloses the point where the curl is undefined (infinite).

Last edited:

Related to Singularities in Conservative Vector Fields: Understanding the Integral Around C

1. What is a singularity in a conservative vector field?

A singularity in a conservative vector field is a point where the vector field is undefined or discontinuous. This means that the vector field is not smooth and cannot be described by a continuous function at that point.

2. How do singularities affect the integral around a closed curve in a conservative vector field?

Singularities can affect the integral by causing it to diverge, which means that the integral does not have a finite value. This occurs when the path of the closed curve passes through the singularity, making the integral undefined.

3. Is it possible for a conservative vector field to have multiple singularities?

Yes, a conservative vector field can have multiple singularities. These can be either isolated singularities, where the vector field is undefined at a single point, or branch point singularities, where the vector field becomes undefined along a curve.

4. How can we determine the type of singularity in a conservative vector field?

The type of singularity can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the vector field near the singularity. For example, if the vector field approaches infinity at the singularity, it is a pole singularity. If the vector field remains bounded but becomes undefined, it is an essential singularity.

5. What is the significance of understanding singularities in conservative vector fields?

Understanding singularities is important in order to accurately calculate integrals in conservative vector fields. It also helps to identify any potential issues or limitations in the vector field, and can provide insight into the behavior of the vector field near these points.