Single slit diffraction bright fringe's width

In summary: The separation appears to increase for the vertical set of fringes at the top of the image, but I concede that it might just be an illusion.
Koveras00
According to my knowledge, the position of the dark fringes is given by

asin(x)=m*lamda (sorry, I do not know how to type equations in here)

tan(x)=d/L

a=slit width
x=angle of diffraction(?)
m=no. of order
d=distance from the central fringe
L=distance between slit and screen

By using is equation, I found out that the distance between successive dark fringes is increasing as the order increase. Which means that the width of the bright fringes increase with the order.

But, from this webpage (last section), http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....me=PhysicalOptics_InterferenceDiffraction.xml

Quote:
"In a diffraction pattern, the central maximum has the greatest brightness, with each successive bright fringe getting narrower and dimmer."

Which says the opposite. Tried searching the web and this forum but couldn't find any info.

Please advice. Thank you. :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
It's the paraxial approximation you should search for.

If you have trouble still, since you haven't actually seen the pattern yourself, try putting reasonable values into your equation (10 metres, 500 nanometres, 1st through to 10th orders, 50 micrometres), and then tell us again whether you still find any contradiction.

..not quite sure what the webpage you quoted actually meant.

Last edited:
I tried plugging in values in the equation, that is how I found out that the separation of successive dark fringes increases as the order increases. Bright fringes exist between the minimas hence the width of the bright fringes decreases too.

I have also seen and tried measure the width of the bright fringe using a photometer.

All points towards that the width of the bright fringes will increases when the order increases.

But after bumping into the website that I have quoted, I begin to doubt my understanding of single slit diffraction and my experiment. Therefore posting this thread. The picture in the website also show that the separation of dark fringes decreases.

Sorry if I could not explain myself well.

Give the numbers you calculated (to better facilitate us pointing out the insignificance of the variation). Remember to use the correct number of significant figures (the data I specified has but 1 or 2).

I think the site is wrong - the ideal single-slit diffraction pattern is a sinc^2 pattern, which means that ideally at least, all the maxima should be spaced equally far apart. Deviation from the ideal case should result in higher order maxima being spaced further apart (as the paraxial approximation becomes less suitable for higher order maxima).

Take a look at the photo here of the diffraction of an x-ray wave by a single rectangular slit;

http://www.elettra.trieste.it/science/elettranews/volume46/en110.html

Clearly the spacing of each maxima is uniform across the first 7-8 orders, at higher orders the increase in separation is also evident.

Claude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Claude Bile said:
Take a look at the photo here [..] at higher orders the increase in separation is also evident.
I disagree with that interpretation of your data. It appears to me to demonstrate that separation between successive maxima (or minima) remains constant (at least within the precision of the image). It also demonstrates each successive fringe appearing narrower, as per the website quote (although I suspect this effect is mainly to do with the perception of brightness gradients).

Last edited:
To me, the separation appears to increase for the vertical set of fringes at the top of the image, but I concede that it might just be an illusion.

Claude.

Related to Single slit diffraction bright fringe's width

1. What is single slit diffraction and how does it relate to bright fringe width?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit that is comparable in size to its wavelength. This results in the wave spreading out or diffracting as it passes through the slit. The bright fringe width is a measure of the distance between consecutive bright fringes in the diffraction pattern.

2. What factors affect the width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction?

The width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident wave, the size of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the diffraction pattern is observed. Additionally, the number of slits, the shape of the slit, and the type of wave can also affect the width of the bright fringes.

3. How is the width of the bright fringes measured in single slit diffraction?

The width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction can be measured by determining the distance between consecutive bright fringes in the diffraction pattern. This can be done using a ruler or caliper to measure the distance on the screen where the diffraction pattern is observed.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction. The formula is given by w = λL/d, where w is the width of the bright fringes, λ is the wavelength of the incident wave, L is the distance between the slit and the screen, and d is the size of the slit.

5. Can the width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction be changed?

Yes, the width of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the wavelength of the incident wave, the size of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. For example, increasing the wavelength or decreasing the size of the slit will result in wider bright fringes, while increasing the distance between the slit and the screen will result in narrower bright fringes.