Single motor sequence mechanism

In summary: Youtube for a preview.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a moving cosplay prop and finding a way to make it move in a sequential manner using one motor. The solution suggested involves using pinned joints and link rods with slots to actuate the blocks. Another suggestion is to use rubber bands instead of slotted links. Pictures or pseudo blueprints are requested for better understanding.
PsiQss
Hello!
I'm currently in the process of making a moving cosplay prop, and as a perfectionist, I'd like it to move exactly like the original. Kind of like in this animation:
https://www.deviantart.com/ace-wong/art/RWBY-Qrow-s-Weapon-Animation-606779918

The problem I've stumbled upon, is how to make it sequencial and working on a single motor, so that it moves the same way back and forth. The prop will be made of cardboard, some thin lightweight wood (2mm) and EVA foam, so I think one or two motors should be able to handle it no problem.
The worst part is, the sequence is supposed to start from the element furthest away from the motor itself. I could kind of cheat it out and make small servos for each section, controlled in sequence by an arduino or something, but I think there should be a mechanical way to solve this..

I'm not too advanced in english technical terms, so for complex things, pictures or pseudo blueprints would be appreciated ^^"

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try something like this, where the circles and dots represent pins to allow rotation:
P9250020.JPG

Three blocks are connected with pinned joints so they can rotate relative to each other. A series of link rods with slots actuate the blocks. The link rods are connected to each other with pins, so each link can pivot relative to the connecting links. The links have slots, and the blocks have pins inside the slots. With the link rod assembly fully to the left, all the blocks are pulled together. As the link rod assembly is pushed to the right, the rightmost block moves first. When the slot in the second link bottoms out against the pin from the second block, the second block starts to rotate. Same when the slot in the third link bottoms out against the pin from the third block. The slot in the third link is longer than the slot in the second link.

Likes PsiQss
The device suggested by jrmichler should work as required. It may be noise as there will be repeated impacts in the linkage, and it may move a varying rates if the increasing load significantly loads the motor.

Thanks a lot!
That should do the trick. Looks simple too :)

I couldn't view the video but here is a possibly simpler approach.
Use rubber bands instead of slotted links and rods. Vary the strength of the rubber bands if you need sequential actuation.

Video on Youtube
Search the term "RWBY - Qrow's Weapon Animation"

Related to Single motor sequence mechanism

1. What is a single motor sequence mechanism?

A single motor sequence mechanism is a system that controls the movement of a single motor or actuator in a specific sequence. It is often used in industrial and manufacturing settings to automate repetitive tasks.

2. How does a single motor sequence mechanism work?

A single motor sequence mechanism typically consists of a control unit, sensors, and a motor. The control unit receives input from the sensors, which detect the position and movement of the motor. Based on this input, the control unit sends signals to the motor to move in a specific sequence.

3. What are the advantages of using a single motor sequence mechanism?

One of the main advantages of using a single motor sequence mechanism is increased efficiency and productivity. By automating repetitive tasks, it can free up human workers for more complex and skilled tasks. It can also reduce the risk of human error and improve consistency in the production process.

4. Are there any limitations to using a single motor sequence mechanism?

One limitation of using a single motor sequence mechanism is that it may not be suitable for tasks that require a high degree of precision or flexibility. It is also important to regularly maintain and calibrate the mechanism to ensure its accuracy and reliability.

5. How is a single motor sequence mechanism different from a multi-axis system?

A single motor sequence mechanism controls the movement of a single motor, while a multi-axis system can control the movement of multiple motors or actuators simultaneously. Multi-axis systems are typically more complex and versatile, but also more expensive and may require more maintenance.

Back